Confront

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I bought a gallon of Confront from Lesco. It seems to really be hammering the Henbit, but it seems less effective than 2-4-D on just about all other forms of broadleaf weeds. It seems to have little to no effect on thistle and curly dock.

The 2-4-D works on just about everything but Henbit.

I was wondering about mixing the two. Anyone ever heard of mixing these two?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. If you read the label you would know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is instructed in pesticide license, 101

3. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Nope, haven't read the label for that (yet). Just thought about this and figured I'd see if anyone was doing it. Actually, the label isn't handy right now...it's about 6 miles away.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's the warmer weather taking it's toll on the henbit or the Confront. Untreated Henbit is still doing pretty good here, but the Henbit I treated a week ago with Confront is really stressed and probably just about dead.

Can't say the same for most of the other broadleafs, though.

I'm going back to 2-4-D once I finish off this confront. If Confront can be mixed with 2-4-D, I might consider mixing it just for henbit control.

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences.

Later,
    DFW, TX

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Confront is a fabulous herbicide for certain hard to control weeds. Why would someone use it when they don't know what it will do? :confused: And why would someone use any pesticide without reading the ENTIRE label? :confused:

Why didn't you get Momentum at Lesco? For several years that has been the best general use broadleaf herbicide. Momentum is basically 2,4-D + Confront. But don't try to mix your own 2,4-D & Confront cocktail. Mike tried it a few years ago and killed a couple lawns, LOL. Ever heard of synergy?

5. JIm, I don't know if you are referring to me or not, but I have cooked a few mixing those 2 together.

Momentium is great.

However, I have it down now, and mix 2,4-D with Confront on my own.

I don't have a label in front of me but confront does kill a good amount of braod leaves, you just have to read the label to find out what and how much chem.

6. GroundKprs

Well, I was thinking of another Mike.

Hmmm.... is it just a coincidence, or does the name Mike have something to do with it?

Aha! Might I Kill Everything.

7. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Have any of you used confront on wild violet. I hate this weed, i've been fighting this for two years, since i bought this house. I've been using trimec but the temps get me every year, too high or too low. I have bought confront & made one app so far. The best i can tell i'm already seeing stress on this weed. If you have had luck with this on wild violets, how many apps? Did i read the label correct, only one app per month?? LATER!!!

8. GroundKprs

Confront is THE tool for violet. Will knock out new sprouts in a single app, but will need two apps to get established plants. Need to get enough chemical into that tuberous root to wipe it out. Best results will be achieved by 2nd app within 10 days to 2 weeks. The 4 week caution is to "minimize turf injury." Don't do a whole area with a quick double app, but test to see if it is a stress in your environment. You'll get hang of it over time.

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

No doubt about all the good things being said about Confront, but hasn't it been voluntarily withdrawn from the market due to its persistence in compost. Its my understanding that as soon as the existing inventory is used up its history.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

10. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Thanks Jim. No confront hasn't been taken off the market, i just bought mine 1 month ago.