Confused about church cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocutter, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about doing chrurch cuts next season. I vaguely remember how these are to be billed though. Do you cut the lawns as scheduled, submit a bill to them, then deduct the total for the year off your taxes? Thats the confusing part. Clarification please.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Ask your accountant. I raffeled off my services for a chairity once. I was told that the only thing that could be deducted was the gas I used for the lawn cuts. Not the value of the cuts.

3. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

To a tradesman, a church is a customer like any other. I do two churches; I bill them monthly, they pay, and I add it to my gross revenue, like payments from any other customer.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You bill them. They pay you. You claim all monies received.

If you donate money to the organization, you take that as a PERSONAL tax deduction.

Don't mix business finances w/ personal, especially when dealing with a church. People get cynical about this kind of thing, especially when there is some "deal" going on.

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I do a 2 acre church grounds,I have enterained the thought of doing some "charity" work. no charge no bill just a agreement that allows me on the property.but that's a differnt deal from my present customer.theirs a signed contract,a monthly statment,and a roa apon remitt.If your going to do charity, look at it just that way, you give of your personal time for the great feeling you get from helping others.i don't think i would mix the two, kinda sounds a little funny.

6. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I do my church on occaision & also do our "sister" church across town.
    We cut, send bill, they pay, but I don't pay the sales tax to state govn't. cuz it's a non-profit org. I claim it as income, just not the sales tax.