1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Confused about Grubb control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by speedster, Apr 12, 2010.

1. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

I've read some conflicting info about grubb controll.

I have a pretty extensive mole problem and a house full of lady bugs. Not sure if there is a correlation but from what I've read the best way to rid my yard of moles is to get rid of their food. I had heard of a product called Grubbex and planned to buy some and put down but I've heard some conflicting information as to when this should occur. Some people say put it down as early as possible like right now while others suggest I should wait until june/july when the larve are hatching.

Whats the truth?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No...Do NOT it it down now. Grub-ex contains imidicloprid which is applied as rather a preventative treatment. It is designed to work on the infant stages of the grubs when they are first hatched. Applying it now would be a waste as it would have no efficacy (potency and effect) by the tie the new grubs began to hatch out. Also, this product does NOT work on adult grubs that are found in the soil now left over from last year.
  3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

i'm confused about grubb control too, dont worry its as confusing as crabbgrassss control and needs to be timed right to apply. now is not the right time.
  4. kenneth meals

kenneth meals LawnSite Member

As for your house full of lady bugs, chances are they have been nesting during the winters in your walls in the insulation. It's a very common problem, pay attention to their trail of feces they leave. It will lead you to areas they use to get into the walls.
  5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Do you in fact have a grub problem or you just assuming the grubs because you have moles? Moles are meat eaters, not just grubs but worms. And you don't want to get rid of the worms, I hope. Try a website called "The Mole Man."
    Guy in Cincy who is THE expert on mole control.
  6. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

99% of a Moles diet is earthworms. Treating for grubs because you have a mole problem is a waste of money and not environmentally sound.

If you have Moles hire a professional that knows how to eradicate them.

Or figure out how to do it yourself but I'm not tellin you how.
  7. speedster

Not sure I've ever seen lady bug feces. How can I spot it?
  8. speedster

Not sure if I indeed have a mole problem or not? All I know is that I have a pretty bad mole problem. I bought one of those guilitine style traps and haven't had any luck with it. I'll check that website. Thanks.
  9. kenneth meals

kenneth meals LawnSite Member

Speedster I'll take a picture tomarrow and post it. But there will be dark trails in a nondefined pattern, it's basicly excreting as it walks along. The picture will show it.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's real easy to spot if you have a henway.