1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Confused about which mower to buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RHK, Oct 27, 2006.

1. RHK

RHK LawnSite Member

Afternoon! I'm very confused at this point in which mower to buy? I have the money to buy now, (money no object!) starting business in 2-3 weeks. I will be using the mower 95% of the time in residential, going threw gates and narrow landscaping. These are the mowers I have looked at Dixie Chopper 34", Exmark Phazer 34", Scag Z-Cat 36", and Wright Sentar Sport 36". I'm leaning more to the Wright Sentar because you are able to sit or stand and after all day of mowing I'm sure my butt will be tired if using the other mowers. But the one thing that bothers me is that the dealer is about 30 miles away and there reliability. The other mower dealers are within 10 miles from my house, plus I see DC, Exmark, and Scag all over the place. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:confused: :confused:
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer support and access to them makes a big difference when making a mower purchase. I have expereince with Exxmark and John Deere mowers. Any other brand that I have knowledge of is hearsay from here at Lawnsite or other LCOs that I know.

You are thinking right about deck size due to being able to access backyards through small gates.

I actually purchased a 54" JD Z and got a used 36" Exmark Metro for the small gated back yards.

Came out okay. Depending on the size of the properties, you might want to consider this combo as well, if you can find one of them used.
  3. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

scag and only scag.try a 36" hydro walk behind or get a larger WB and a good 21" self propelled like a honda.i use the honda myself because i only do gated back yards once in a blue moon.