Confused on 3 hole Adjustment Perma Green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Oct 22, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am a owner of a Lawncare compnay I do not applicate much anymore. My employee's do therefore I have never really understood this third hole idea? On the Perma Green should it be opened or closed? when spreading with out the boarder control on?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Closed when boarder deflector is used.

Open when broadcasting 180 degrees.

When the Third hole is open it allows Granules to be throw from the right hand side of the spreader.

3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The 3rd hole should always be open, it's just a matter of how much. It's used to adjust the spread pattern to make sure you have an even balance of material being thrown left, center and right. The deflector only prevents material from being thrown to the right. If you don't have an owners manual, call PG and they'll send you one. It explains the machine very well.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

or you can get it right here http://ride-onspreader.com/accounts/?p=15&a=1&ID=3
    If you don't have the Magnum, go to the menu on the left, highlight Documentation and all models are availible.

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Close the third hole when using the deflecter. Otherwise you will be putting too much product down on that pass.
    If you are appling a heavy fert. application it will fall out of the deflecter and can cauase a stripe.

On our machines we open the third hole for full spread, but close it one notch to keep spread pattern at 180 degrees. Otherwise it throws to heavy to the right.(beyond 180 degrees)

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

depends what i have in the hopper as to how far open the hole it

7. stumper1620

Same here Dusty.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Stump,
    I just got a call for striped lawn. Pg Ultra job. 2 Acres. Good discussion--but--which is the third hole? If you are standing on the machine--do you mean the hole on the far left? Rust causes problems with the adjustment lever.
    On my machine I often get excess flow from the hole on the far right--which results in excess fertilizer spread to the left of the machine.
    I have problems with holes plugging up in humid weather. How best to clear the machine if one hole is plugged? If all are plugged?
    Also what is that phillips screw for on the carbuerator? Idle adjustment? Mixture adjustment? Where to set it? Thanks.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe what's called the 3rd hole on the PG is in fact the adjustable cable on the left, standing behind the machine. This adjusts flow to the right, which hits into the deflector, among other things. Our's is set at 1/2 way and is frozen as well, but to be honest, my tech operates in a circular pattern (counter clockwise) which all but gaurantees no striping. It drives me crazy to do, as I was always a back and forth guy, but it works, and works well.

10. stumper1620

If your sprayer on your ultra works, run down your stripes with liquid iron, should spray at about the same width as your stripes.
    Thats if you need to get rid of it before winter, or a quick release fert applied cross pattern would probably work too.
    Had the same problem last spring, go in circles working toward the middle this allows for a margin of error in the setting of the third hole and for build up.
    lots of wd 40,the third hole is the adjustable one on the left side if you were behind the handle bar or on the right if you were standing in front of the machine looking at it.
    getting even pattern takes time, I have found it much more important to be accurate on the lbs per k than having a perfect pattern, just seems like every time I get the pattern right the lbs are off, or the opposite, thats why I learned from a very smart member on this site to go in circles. I have not had a problem since.
    If your throwing heavy to the left, your adjustable left hole is closed too far or it is plugging off.
    The book says open your settings full, I don't like moving that if I can help it after I am all adjusted, so what I did was took a screw driver stuck it in my vise and bent a L shape in the end, I open it and stick the bent end in and scrap around until I figure I have it cleared ( do not do this in the turf areas and have a tarp to park on, it spills a lot.) then I run the hopper empty and clean the holes before I reload.
    I think Idle but, I have a magnum so I don't know for sure, check the PG link I posted above, the instructions and service guides for all models are listed there in the Documentaion area.