Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DieselOnly, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

Okay, I've been doing some researching and am lost on what all I need. I'd like to start lawn maintnance next year, and was wondering what all I'll need to be 100% legal and legit in Pennsylvania?

So far, I've figured out:
    Fed tax forms
    PA tax forms
    Business license
    Insurance, perferrably 1 mil liability

Now, what, if any special license would I need to mow lawns, make compost, put the compost on gardens, and rototill gardens? What about driveway sealcoating if I decide to do that later in the year, or one or two years down the road?

Thanks for any info. I want to be 100% legal, and am trying to get all my ducks in a row to get everything tackled this off-season, so I can start next spring.
  2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Have you called the state dept of agriculture? Check with them for special license requirements.
  3. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

I've been on thier website, and it's more confusing than one could imagine. All it covers is stuff like fertilizer production (says nothing about organics/compost), weed control, and basically just chemical stuff. Nothing at all about spreading organic compounds, nothing about changing the landscape, nothing. If by December I don't have what I need, I'll give them a call and see where it gets me.
  4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Alabama you have to take tests for certain things and there are only a few testing oportunities for beginners. You may want to just call and talk to someone before then in case PA also has specific tests times. You may need to give yourself time to study their test guides.

I find calling and pretending that I am completly lost on their website really helps. :) People are helpful most of the time.