Confused

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by stangman, May 21, 2004.

1. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Alright I have a 48" metro belt drive w/ a 15 Kohler. I started noticing about a month ago when I have it in 4th gear it kinda hesitates a little only on the left side. So, I changed my belts tweeked the adjustments on the left side and still no change. Am I looking at transmission problems here or is my brake binding up on me?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Stangman,

Does it hesitate when you release the drive lever or is it simply a little slower on that side?

If it's a true hesitation I'd look at the linkages and pivots for any thing that might be binding or causing them to "hang up" momentarily. I'd also grease the idler pivot and brake linkage pivot on that side. When you do make sure you see grease coming our all the way around the pivot. If it doesn't you may not be getting the grease around the entire pivot. After you grease it work the linkage several times and give it one more shot of grease just to be sure everything received a little.

I would also look at the drive pulley at the transmission output and compare it to the other side. Several years ago we had some pulley's make it through that were machined "high" on the center rib between the two "V's". This would cause poor drive and excessive belt slippage. It' unlikely that this is the case because generally it would slip bad enough to turn your wonderful Metro walk behind into a 400 lb. push mower.

Also look for a damaged lower pulley or any foreign substance on the either pulley. A small amount of oil or grease on the pulley can make the mower hesitate momentarily and then go as well.

It is possible that the brake is causing the problem but I would be surprised unless you over tightened the "wing" nut adjustment.

If it's simply slow on one side then you may want to look at the air pressure in the drive tires.

Thanks,

Terry

3. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Actually it hesitates during a run. Not just once in a while but about once every few seconds. And only in 4th gear. I thought it may be junk on the belt or pulleys and have even greased the crap out of it. I fear it is something in the gear box itself.

4. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

.....bump......

5. eXmark

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay. I talked with one the guys in our lab and he though the set screw on the small/top/black drive pulley is probalby loose. It's unlikely there is a problem internal in the transmission. Normally if there is a problem internally it effects both sides equally.

Thanks

Terry

6. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry I will check it out in the am.

7. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Well, I have finally noticed it slipping on both sides now. So I guess I am back to a tranny problem. Is there a good place online to purchase a 5 spd. tranny?

8. eXmark

Stangman,

Look at the transmission outputs when it starts to slip. If they quit moving at the same time then I would look a the transmission belt adjustment. If the outputs keep turning but the wheels quick moving then the drive belts are slipping.........When in doubt it may be a good idea to have the dealer look at it.

Thanks

Terry