confusing drainage issue near pond-need help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 24, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

This is a pathetic little drawing of a customers house. Can someone that understands drainage tell me why this area that slants toward the pond has water sitting on top of it? I would think the water should go into the pond since the water level is way below the ground level where the water sits. I cant mow it yet it keeps growing and is getting too tall. The area isnt drying up. What should be done here? thanks for any help.

pond.jpg

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My guess is that the soil make up is not allowing the water to drain. Without any more info a french drain or 2 come to mind........ Is this a new development from last season????

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

this is the first season ive mowed it so im not sure. I know this area was graded like this down to the pond by some landscape guy a couple yrs ago. Maybe he used the wrong stuff. Good chance of it because the owner said hes been calling the guy to do some more work and the guy hasnt called back, probably because he thinks hes calling to complain.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

could it be a broken sprinkler pipe?

5. ropinghorns

ropinghorns LawnSite Member

I love this kind of seepage. It makes me try different methods [kind of trial and error]. Again, without more info mayby the water is the reason they built the pond, and like you said, they designed it wrong. Thank God for laser transits!!!!!!!

6. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Could be a spring feeding the pond. Only thing that comes to mind when water is standing on a hill side. Or a water leak.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What does R.D. stand for? Water infiltrates through the soil, it moves downwards, and moves side to side. This is the reason there are weep holes on the bottom of retaining walls, and the reason why you tie back into the soil. Water moves other directions that just down. Could be moving sideways from an uphill source.

8. ropinghorns

I'm with big country..

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

in order

no sprinklers at this place

what is a laser transit?

what does tie back in soil mean?

RD stands for road

10. ropinghorns

Laser transit is used to find the level . In place of the site level transit that you look through. This would allow the landscaper to have proper slope to the pond, therefore draining the water into the pond and not letting it stand around in a level area as you may have seen in this case you are discussing. I love to take care of those problems.