Confusious Says ..... for low ballers and cheapskate customers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Oct 29, 2005.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Check this out I found this copied and posted on my auto mechanics wall while waiting for an oil change.

"It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you loose a little money... that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot... it cannot be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that , you will have enough to pay for something better."

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

confusious says... to be high on pot, first one must sit on pot.

landscapers that under bid me buy all their plants and material at walmart and dont even bother taking the tags off to hide it. customers call back the next year when everything is dead and full of weeds and needs to be redone. i laugh and tell them their a clean up fee now too, and its costing them more in long run to go with cheaper guy.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Any deal with a business involves risk. This risk has to do with how well the job is done vs. how fast I can get it done for the money I am being paid. I can only use as much material and labor as what your money pays for. Ultimately for me to survive, I MUST earn a certain minimum to cover the cost of materials and labor, undercut this minimum and you undercut yourself as I can not do more for less.
    Sometimes things don't work out as they should. It takes longer or it took more material than expected, it should cost more but it can't. If it takes less time or material than expected, it is never a problem to lower the quote. For this reason, higher quotes tend to be given to cover risk variables.
    When business is slow, WE take more risk meaning you get the better price but there is a limit to how much extra I can do to please you for the lesser price should things not work out exactly as planned. Conversely when business is good, WE take less risk, the price is higher but so is the guarantee that you'll get a job well done in the end, regardless of circumstance.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i tell them this is just what it says..... an estimate. i have an hourly rate plus materials. if job takes longer i can either charge more or let you finish. like wise if i come in under cost, i dont charge full estimate price. +/- 10% on all estimates. guaranteed not to exceed 10% or i eat the difference.