Congratulations To My Hustler Dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Feb 28, 2008.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was just told by my Hustler dealer that he was invited to a Bobcat mower company meeting a couple of days ago and they presented him with a plaque for selling the most Bobcats of any dealer in the US, $3,000,000.00 plus. Now to put this in perspective, Bobcat is his second best seller with Hustler being number one. He said the oldest Hustler he had in stock was around three weeks old. That means he sold all his inventory with no carryover in the worst drought ever recorded in this area, he must be a magician.

He told me he drove a prototype Bobcat Predator Pro with a 37 hp. Kawasaki and 21 cc pumps that would cut grass at 16 mph. This machine is not even being talked about at this time. I told him I certainly would like to run one to compare with the Super Z.

He said all this speed is coming about, but somewhere there had to be a speed you could not cut grass. I told him you could not cut at those speeds now; with 3 1/2" cutting heights and above, there is not enough suction to keep the grass standing up well enough to get a good cut. I have no problem at 15 mph with the lower cutting heights I use, but by the deck being closer to the ground you create more suction to hold the grass up.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I find it funny how one mower is popular in region A while another mower is popular in region B and so on. That is amazing that he sells so many mowers! Our hustler dealer may sell a couple a year and thats a big huge MAYBE because in all my years in this area I have seen a grand tottal of 1 hustler mower on a trailer. Now when I went down to florida to visit I seen a bunch of them. I dont think they cut northern grass very well and thats why they havent caught on very good in northern states.

3. whats interesting is what area in parts parts of the country are the top selling dealers . Like where is the top Exmark, Hustler or scag. Well I do know where the top selling hustler is though.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

True true. Exmark seems to be king around here. It is very rare to see a trailer that doesnt have exmark on it in this area.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What mowers are not here? I can tell you there are about 2 Hustlers in this county (one a home owner), no Walkers, no Bad Boys, 1 commercial John Deere, and one old Kubota.

What is here?
    1. Grasshoppers
    2. Scags
    3. Exmarks
    4. Gravely
    5. a few Toros, Cubs, Bobcats, and Bush Hogs
    6. A few trailers with built in beer coolers hauling craftsmans
    7. One craftsman with no deck, no trailer, that runs around town with a rebel flag blowing behind. Yes he's being treated. He carries a loaded bb gun.

You got to love this place.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Top Mowers in the Raleigh area: Probably Toro, Hustler, Deere, and then Exmark.

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

We see a fair amount of Toro, Scag, and Hustlers around here, more than anything else (there was a Scag dealer here 2 years ago that had been around forever). There's starting to be more and more Bad Boy orange though!

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say 60% are eXmark
    and then in no order Toro, Hustler, Wright, and Walker with some JD sprinkled in here and there.

You will also see Cub, Everride and Dixie every now and then. I have never seen a Bad Boy on a trailer or in the field. Only at Tractor Supply.....

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Boy I bet that Bobcat drove smooth with 21cc pumps! I was looking on their website....looks like you're sitting up considerably higher on the Bobcat compared to say a Scag Wildcat (and the reason I compare those two is they're both Dane Scag designs). The top of the seat on a Wildcat is about 42" off the ground to the Predator Pro's 46.5". I wonder what the difference is in the true center of gravity?

10. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

How do you get that they are both Dane Scag designs? He sold Bobcat in the 70's and Scag in the 80's. Long before a Wildcat or Predator were out.