Connecting account deals spred the word.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willis, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Help? maybe?
    I have adopted the $3 per 1,000sf idea and charge min $30 up to 10,000st. I have larger subdivision accounts like 33,000sf I use this on and works out well. But I have these 5 little old ladies living door to door to each other with each about 2,000sf each. I would like to combined them as a hole and give them a deal. They all connect, But at $3 per 1,000sf, that would only come out to be $6bucks apiece I know I could definitely get more. Can any one help with this? :confused: Thanks.

2. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

How long would it take to cut all five?

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

don't forget you will still have 5 times the trimming. So don't just add the sq ft price of all 5 combined you need to get payed for the trimming.

You might tell them you will go $15 per lawn. Are they using the 5 connecting lawns as a bargaining tool? are they going to have one person handle the billing? or Are you going to have to bill each one separate. If they insist on a discount, I would lay some rules down too. such as I only deal with one person. collecting money from 5 people takes a lot longer then then collecting from one.

4. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

one man about 30 min.
    Yes as a bargaining tool.
    And bill all five separate throw mail with return envelope.
    Thanks all. :)

5. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

I agree with Soupy. $15 per yard is a good deal for you and them. Since you have to bill each one and wait on each one to pay. If you need bargaining power offer them a 10 to 20 percent discount off of the $15.00

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I would make sure that they understand that the reason you can discount the price is because all 5 are involved... Make sure they understand that any changes to this... such as one of them drops, or one has you come do her lawn only on an out-of-schedule day, will result in a rate increase.

Keep in mind they will tell all their friends what a great deal you give them, and others will only want to pay $15.00 each too, regardless of the fact they might be one stop 5 blocks away!

BTW willis..... what kind of equip. are you using... .Perhaps list equip. in your signature.... that will help others to better answer questions such as this......

Good Luck and welcome to Lawnsite!

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Willis, Are you sure you can do these is 30 minutes? I would think it would take close to 30 minutes to trim around 5 houses, 5 driveways, 5 sidewalks, trees, and landscaping. then you have 5 driveways and walkways to and the streets to blow off.

I would not bend over back-wards to get these penny pincher's. Let me put it this way. I would rather do one 10,000 sq ft. lawn for $30. you have 4 times less of everything. Take my word on this don't go less then 12.50 a lawn. And sight unseen I'm not even sure I would go that low. Believe me I use to have a situation like yours back when I first started. I was doing some old ladies that lived in a trailer park. It was a very nice trailer park and was easy work. but then one died, one started having her grandson doing it. So when I went to raise the price by $2.50 on the remaining customers, they dump me. No royalty in penny pincher's.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, forget the penny pinchers. Do you realize that this "discount" amounts to so little over a year that it hardly affects their lives, yet if you discount all your work like this you will make thousands less profit over a year.

I think anyone who objects to much less than $20/cut is wasting your time. It takes almost as long to trim many tiny properties as medium sized ones, it takes just as much work to prepare invoices, handle calls, etc. Plus, you will never be able to manage thousands of accounts like this if you decide to grow and add employees. Much easier to take on one bigger yard than so many small ones.

That said, I realize the business is different in different places, but I've never had much luck doing the discount thing for multiple neighbors. One drops out and the others don't want to pay the higher resulting rate. I prefer customers who are more interested in quality and reliability than price. Lawn service is NOT a commodity.

9. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Navig8r
    Thank you, good points.
    21'', trimer, blower, edger for these five.
    Soupy
    Thank you I will take your advice into consideration.
    And maybe 45 min or so.
    Brucec32
    Thank you, some strong advice.
    Be assured all, I will take all these into serous consideration.
    Thank you very much. :cool:

10. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Any more info on this mathematically maybe, would be grate. :cool:
    Would help in the future, plenty of little retirement communities in this area. Thanks.