Connecting Low Voltage lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by sundancerz, Feb 27, 2006.

1. sundancerz

sundancerz LawnSite Member

Can low voltage lighting be connected in series or does it have to be connect in parallel? I'm thinking wiring in series....that the bulbs (7 watt) won't be big enough to pass enough power to work the rest of the lights correctly. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it.(wiring in series that is)
    Thanks

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you wire low voltage lighting in series. If you didn't you would blow all the 7 watt bulbswith the 24watt transformer not to mention all the additional wiring.:drinkup:

3. sundancerz

sundancerz LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply splicer but don't you have that backwards? The manufacturers all show low voltage hooking up in a parallel scheme which is why I wondered about wiring them in series. (I figured it would give it a constant flow)
    image33.gif
    image34.gif
    I realize the examples are for speaker but it workings are the same. :)

image33.gif

image34.gif

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

dude... by that comment, i see that you have no understanding of how electricity works, especially low voltagelighting

5. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Low voltage lighting systems are designed at 12 volts. The latest UL standard wont allow transformers that produce more that 15 volts.

6. mgm

mgm LawnSite Member

No one really has a complete understanding of "how electricity works " I think wiring methods may be an appropriate response.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You would not want to wire these systems in series because, if one of the lamps burns out, it would kill the rest of the circuit and therefore send too much voltage to the first lamps and cause them to blow from too much voltage. Also, with low voltage you have a large amp load. The lamps could not handle that load, you would burn out a lamp pretty quickly and then kill most, if not all of the circuit.

8. mgm

mgm LawnSite Member

Wire your lights using figure # 2 in the diagram.

9. mgm

mgm LawnSite Member

If you wired the circuit in series and one lamp burned out - the circuit can not provide power to any other light - the path will be incomplete. If that happened the rest of the lamps will not light - no harm done.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

isnt that called Series parralell. Definatly dont just string them along as paul stated or you will have the christmas lights syndrom Along with many other problems as he stated.

I really like the hub meathod of wiring. As to the guy that said you would blow a 7 watt bulb with a 24 watt trans ?????? where you getting 24 watt transformers. The bulb if its 7 watts will draw just that. Its not like a speaker with an amplifier which the amp has a variable output as volume increases or decreases. I dont like the speaker schematic. Try looking up one at Cast-lighting.com Its all good just either wire it to a hub or wire it like Paul said.