Cons and Pros of mulching deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gvpa20, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gvpa20

gvpa20 LawnSite Member

Hi, guys ! This is my first thread on lawnsite. This the most informative message board I've ever been on. Anyway, yes I need some advice. I've been in the green industry for 8 years doing Lawn treatments. Now we are getting ready to start offering Lawn Maintance to our customers. I have already put half down on a 52" Grasshopper w/mulching deck. Can you give me your Professional opinions on whether a mulching deck is better than a side discharging deck ??? Yes, I know I can do more research on my own, but that info would be from the guys trying to sell to me ! :help:

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

mulching is not good in the spring when there is lots of heavy growth. if you do mulch you'll leave grass turds like you wouldn't believe.

mulching in the summer and fall is very good. on the smaller props you stop the side discharging into your customers beds and it saves on blowing. in the fall you can sometimes mulch the leaves if there not too thick.

3. gvpa20

gvpa20 LawnSite Member

TClawn thanks for the input that is something a dealer would leave out !!

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I believe mulching in the spring is quite doable but fertilizer rates, type of N and timing as well as other management practices need to be correct.

5. gvpa20

gvpa20 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply dishboy. That is something I can control on my lawns. Two years ago I started using a low nitrogen high minors blend. It has been working out great.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

also depends on grass type and mowing frequencies.

we run only mulchers. they are not as good on tall grass, and on cool season grasses may not work as well.

here are the pro's

less clippings on driveway's
    can mow around beds in any direction, becuase no grass blowing into them.
    cuts fert nees by 25%
    adds organic mat. to the soils, sort of micro topdressing.
    no discharge chute to hit things and get bent.

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

This is my third year mowing. I have always side-discharged...but starting this season I will mulch. I have alot of small props with landscaping so keeping grass out of the beds has always been a challenge.

That said, mulching isnt as good in tall wet grass (spring around here). As for leaves, I used my Toro 36 wb with a mulching kit on all my leaf jobs...it was quicker, easier, and the customers were happy!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We only use mulching decks with side discharge blocked. Safety is one reason but you don't need to worry about throwing grass on sidewalks, streets, beds, etc. And as a result it reduces mow time....we mainly do small yards ..around 10,000 sq. ft. No experience in heavy fescue, bluegrass, but they work on winter rye when done weekly.

9. gvpa20

gvpa20 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your words of wisdom guys ! I feel very good about my purchase now. :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have tried mulching before, and it just doesn't worth up here with the grow that I get. Horrible mess