Considering a new ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Sonnie Parker, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker LawnSite Member

I cannot believe it has been 6 years this month since I purchased my Grasshopper 225/61 ZTR. Wow! I remember the buying process all too well though, it was fun.

My 225 has 515 hours on it now, not too bad. I just had the center spindle and bearings on all spindles replaced last week. Other than that, about the only thing I have had to do is replace the belt once and another minor part on the steering, which I was able to do myself. I replaced the front tires last year.

I tried out an Encore 61" while my GH was in the shop and I could not believe the difference. I was so glad to get my GH back. The Encore left stringers and was much less comfortable. The engine did seem to bog less in heavy grass, but it had a 27 or 28HP on it versus my 25.

Anyway... my biggest complaint with the mid mount is having to clean the deck and change blades. It is about the most aggravating time in my life and one of the things I dread the most. Other than this, I love my GH.

So... I am in the market for a front mount, which I understand will flip up for easy cleaning and blade changing.

I do have a few questions though.

I definitely want to stay with the 61" bahia cutting deck. I would like a 72", but it would limit my getting in and out of a few places as well as my trailer would no longer haul it, so 61" it is.

The biggest question is gas or diesel? Which one should I get?

I know if I go back with a gas I want the 27HP, not the 23. So it is either between a 727T or a 722DT. I am curious if the 722 will have as much power as the 727 and/or even as much as my 25HP Kohler. I definitely do not want to go backwards.

Another concern is whether the front mounts are as comfortable as the mid mounts.

I am also curious as to what prices I will be looking at and what kind of price difference am I looking at between diesel and gas models.

I think lastly would be what could I expect to get on trade for my 225/61 which I believe is in very good condition considering the work I just did to it.

Any advice, experience, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you get another grasshopper:confused:

3. Sonnie Parker

Uh... that is my plan. The 727T adn 722DT are GH models. [​IMG]

4. The Rookie

ok, sound like you have made your mind up.

5. Sonnie Parker

Anyone who can help me answer the questions I have above are appreciated. My mind is not made up on those questions. I am not sure what your point is.

6. The Rookie

Sorry, I hope you find help deciding. Did not mean anything by my reply other than it sounded like you already knew what you wanted. Just trying to make conversation.

7. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I have a 322D that is 3yo so I know why you like your GH. I would go diesel but I like diesel.
    I have not had the pleasure to mow with a 727 but I do hear they are more comfortable to drive and with the ft. deck and you get more options than just a grass mower if you wish.
    Ask your dealer if they will let you test one out on your property for a good test drive.

8. Sonnie Parker

I got truly lucky this past weekend. I found a 729G2 that was part of an estate sale and only had 8.9 hours on it... practically brand new. Picked it up for a mere $7,500. I could not pass it up. I had to drive 9 hours round trip to get it, but it was worth it.

I got to try it out today and it is a serious machine. Rides like a Cadillac. I still have to get use to it... it is a little different from the midmount.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Diesel engines are more expensive to buy and fuel is more expensive. They are more efficient to run (1/3 less gph) and will last 2x as long. Diesels produce more horse power. Once you own one, you'll never go back to gas. JMO