considering adding dump insert

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poghead, Nov 17, 2002.

1. poghead

poghead LawnSite Member

I am considering adding a dump insert onto my pick-up. My questian is will adding the dump couse my bus ins. to increase.
    I have a friend with a full size dump truck and he told me his ins. went up last year so much he was concidering parking his truck.I am only planning to use the insert for light loads such as mulch and gress clippings.Maybe some top dressing no more than 1 yard at a time.I would think that the overall gvw.wt. plays into all this some where.Could anyone give me some feedback?

Thanks, pog

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

What pickup are you looking to add it to? 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, 4wd?

3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just adding the dump insert for doing the odd mulch job or making the unloading of some RxR ties easier should not have any impact on your insurance. You should be dealing with a company who handles both Business liability as well as business auto insurances. Your respective policies should have the needed coverage for you to add that insert to a truck already insured to the business without any problems.

4. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

That will not make a difference in insurance i dont think.. I have a 99 dodge 1 ton dump truck, 4wd, and full coverage business insurance is 870.00/year.. I have had some people tell me it high, and some tell me thats low.. So i dont even know if im getting a good deal or not,, but that is what im paying. What do you guys think?

5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Business liability -
    1million/2M/1M
    1M per occurance
    2M aggregate
    1M aggredate for products - completed operations hazard

5K per person medical
    50K per occurrence

Coverage for lanscape gardening and street cleaning (snow)

Coverage of $15K business personal property loss with two locations.
    Pesticide/herbicide endorsment.

Total $1250

Business auto
    300K single incident liability
    Fire and theft on truck and trailer
    PIP /5K medical per person
    100K supplemental
    Comprehensive collision ($200 dedectable)

Total $1600

I don't know, are you paying too much to "cover your A**"?

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I think that the insurance is effected by the year and value of the truck not weather or not its a dump ? Never heard of such a thing.. Insurance has gone up steeply this year......
    I have a dump insert and think it's great, at least for small mulch jobs and grass clippings and such, but it s too tight for any serious work, a pallet has to be jammed into it and then pryed out .... and trees and shrubs fill it real quick.. had to get a trailer to do plant installs ratehr than make 10 trips to the nursury... But for small jobs it cant be beat......

7. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

I just want to thank those of you who posted your insurance rates on here before I jump off my desk with this here rope around my neck. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MY GOD am I being screwed in New Jersey. Its no secret weve got the highest auto insurance rates in the country but $ 870 for the year for a year of FULL COVERAGE/comp and collision, fire and theft etc on a 99 Dodge. Im paying over $ 1200 bucks a year for just 500 K Liablity coverage on an 92 Jeep cherokee 85 86 88 and 89 Ford F-250s. (thats each)

As far as the original question about the ez-dumper, its great for the smaller stuff like you said. I wouldnt put it in anything under an F-250 and even then maybe consider adding a leaf or helper springs. The volume you hold goes down dramatically as they take up alot of air space in the bed. I think insurance rates can change based on the registered weight of the vehicles. Im pretty sure the ez dumpers have been discussed so do a search.

Best of luck

The recently departed CMerrick