1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Considering adding thatching to my list of services

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mowerdude777, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I do not own a dethatcher yet but I see them pretty cheep on craigslist. And have thought about getting one, the reason I have not is underground wires, pipes etc, is that worth worrying about or not. I have a rer tractor that i could just put an attachment on, but I would rather get a wb thatcher what should I do should i stay clear or invest in one

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I actually believe you are talking about DEthatching.

I have a jrco front mount dethatcher that I use on my bob-cat. It doesn't get as much thatch out of the lawn as a power rake does (probably about 1/3 the amount). I dethatch my customers' lawns every spring, so using the jrco one works well. It is one of my more profitable services.

3. mowerdude777

how much would you charge for a .25 acre yard( that is the size of most of my accounts

4. dvog

dvog LawnSite Member

hmmm...i am a little worried if your concerned about hitting a pipe with a thatch machine.how far do you think your going into the ground while thatching?

5. mowerdude777

Ok I am more worried about wires especially for dog fences

6. mowerdude777

BUMP BUMP bump