considering buying a 97 PSD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JRS Landscaping, Sep 24, 2007.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

im considering buying a 97 psd but it only runs for 20 min then dies any clue why it would be doing this? the truck has 275 k its a crewcab xlt 2x4 guy wants 3500 it has a brand new trans heres a picture

fff.jpg

2. JRS Landscaping

3. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

4. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

a guy bought in his 95 diesel f350 in the diesel school in to change his oil after he change it the truck would not start turned out to be a sensor with the fuel delively I think. what does the truck do when he trys to start it again do you see any smoke from the exhaust?
    PS: the guys truck had 296k

5. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely it's the cam sensor. It's located just under the water pump. I beleive it's a 10mm bolt. You'll see the wiring harness that goes to it. Unplug it unbolt it pry it out with a flathead. It has a rubber o ring that seals it in the block. Sometimes you'll have to work it to get it out. If you get it from the ford dealer for about $130. You could also try an International truck dealer. Tell them you need a cam sensor for a T444E. I get mine off ebay. Buy two from whoever. Keep one in the glove box along with a wrench. They do this when they start to go. Somtimes they just quit and will leave you stranded. Thats why I say get a spare and keep it with you. I've got a 97 myself with 165mi. Had to do mine three times so far. Good luck.

6. JRS Landscaping

my dad thinks its a waste of time. i think its worth it i think i may go look at it tomorrow. only thing is i dont know what im gunan go if i buy it then ill have 2 trucks!

7. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

the new cps is around $20-$30, its grey. even though it says it only works for 97 and up, it works for all 7.3 PSD
    when it dies, does the tach go to zero too? when cranking does the tach read zero also, then its the cps

8. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

It is the cps. If the Tach doesnt move, when you crank it it's the cps. You can get the ford part on ebay for 50 or so. Also check the oil level

9. JRS Landscaping

i havent gone to look at it but im gunan go tomorrow. anything else to look at

10. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

drain some fuel into a bottle from the fuel filter housing via the yellow lever on the housing. Or you can remove the filter cap and look into the housing. If the fuel looks dark, then the injector o-rings need replacing. The fuel should be light clearish yellow.