1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Considering buying a Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tamers, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I am looking into investing in a new Walker Mower. I currently use a John Deere Z-Trac. Can anyone that owns a Walker, and uses it in a commercial application advise on the quality of its cut and if the unit is really worth the money? The dealer I spoke with said it was the top of its class. My target market is high end residential.
  2. walk'in

walk'in LawnSite Member

The co. I work for has had walker mowers for
    9 years and will never buy another brand of mower.
    The cut and reliability are unreal, it is the top of it's
    class and well worth the money.
    BTW all our property's are 7-20 acre townhome complex's :waving: :)
  3. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Walker, there is no substitute....
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

IF you are collect your grass, then YES, a Walker is at the top of it's class. I would take a good look at the new Exmark Navigator also....looks pretty good, but you won't get many opinions on it since it's new.
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about a walker for a long time. I finally bought one last August just in time for fall clean ups. Here is my observations. 1. It works great on dry leaves it will even allow you to go around parking lots and clean them up away from curbs. You need some sort of truck loader with it if you are going to do many leaves. 2. Second, The cut was just as good as our Scags, I personally didnt see a huge difference that everyone claims. 3. I like the ability to bag where needed and discharge where needed. (48 bagging deck 62" discharge) 4. When I called another LCO who only runs walker and asked him why he only went with them. " He said the longeivty of the Machine far outweighs the cost" he told me that he get 3000-4000 hrs out of a machine. That along with the need for a good bagging mower sold me. I am happy overall.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

When I used ZTR I had a Walker GHS. I bagged grass and I thought it left the nicest appearence. Nothing but compliments from the customers. I heard (never used) that the side discharge deck was good as well (I think you need something to block the blower intake when using the SD. Make sure and buy the curb ramp if you go with a walker. Good luck!
  7. rodten

rodten LawnSite Member

EXMARK all the way :blob3:
  8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a walker, and have since 2003. Its a great machine. There are others that will cut faster but cleaning up and maneuverability are much better with the walker. I also have the 56" Side discharge deck, and I love it as well. You don't need the blower intake cover, but its cheap, so you might as well get it. it doesn't make a difference in HP.
    Get the curb hopper.
  9. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I have been using a walker for 4 years and could not be happier. I use the mower for clean-ups and with a side discharge deck. The nice thing about the tractor is the ease of maintenace. Belt replacement can be done in less than 5 minutes and no tools. regarding the new X-mark I would take a closer look and notice the differences between the two mowers. I had reservations before I purchased my walker but like every other Walker owner I can't see purchasing another brand of mower.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I love my 52" SD deck...it's a well built deck You don't have to block the discharge chute, but it's recommended. I have even heard others' say they take off the belt that runs the blower (which would be more efficient), but have also heard that it's a superior PITA to do so.