considering dixie chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by erna, Oct 7, 2005.

1. erna

erna LawnSite Member

What is your experience with them. Good or bad. I need imput. :waving:

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

have 2 ....tough machines. good cut, fast , dependable. Not the best on hills, but that is the only negative for me.

3. Fatheroftwo

Fatheroftwo LawnSite Member

:blob4: Hope you have better luck then I. Only 300 hours and uses 2 quarts of oil every 3 hours. I've also had both hydrostats replaced (warranty) but it was out of service for a week. I'd consider something else. Food for Thought.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We did give it a chanch but went with scag,42 inch 19 kaw-dixie was a 44 inch 22 hp to me the welds looked homemade people here say the cut is great.

5. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

like tinman said, I have had nothing but good luck but they are not the best on hills.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Some love them some hate them.

I used to love them.

Then I hated them.

Now, they're just middle of the pack to me.

It's personal preference and what your used to. You should always try one during your mowing career.

For me, I would have to re-think how I mow just about every one of my lawns if I were to switch back to DC.

Do a search, there's a good weeks worth of discussion about them.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm on my second one and both of them have been literally flawless.

But as TLS said, they are not for everybody but then no mower is.

8. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

I love my Dixie Chopper, and although I'll probably demo many other brands when it comes that time for another one or a replacement, I'll probably end up with another Dixie. Check out sites connected with Dixie Chopper's site if you're considering buying a chopper. Although they're probably a little biased towards the choppers on the forum I'm alluding to, there's plenty of knowledgeable people over there with thousands of hours of experience with choppers. Make sure you've got a good dealer nearby though-not having parts is a pain.

Advantages:

OCDC
    Industry-leading blade tip speed
    Awesome striping capabilities
    up to 15mph mow speed on some models (although I wouldn't reccomend mowing like that in all conditions of course)
    Great power
    Easy to work on and less parts to go wrong
    The deck cleans itself out quite well in many conditions (however, when it's too wet, it's too wet)
    Turf Boss Tires

Disadvantages:

with my dixie while mowing a very old cemetary, I hit an old fallen over headstone which ended up bending the deck shell a bit. I would argue that the deck shell could at least look a little tougher like scages or exmarks, but I would figure that may detract from it's awesome cutting abilities.

Ditto with the hill capabilities--weight distribution on them is not all the greatest. It's walk-behind time on the steeper hills and ditches imo.

9. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Ive ran dixies for many years and im verry happy with them. Im not going to give you a biast oppinion of them. Ive had my ups an downs with them. On my 05 Xtrems they had a bad batch of hydrogear pumps. I had bolth of them switched out. The new grey decks they have dont cut NEAR what the old black decks did. But they are makeing improvements every year. I hear the 06's are going to be updated. Ive ran exmarks also, the exmark cut is better on some applications. If you stripe dixies will out stripe an exmark with no stripe kit. But an exmark with the exmark factory rooler will do better then the dixies. I run X blades and big league lawn rooler stripers on my dixies. Its right up there with the exmark. As for quality. You will get good eggs and bad eggs with every brand. Id say Demo it and Demo it and Demo it again. Make sure your getting what best fits you. And make sure the dealer is good. One of the best things ive found with dixie. Is if i ever have a question that I cant get answered with them. You can call the factory and talk to Art Evans (owner) and get a real answer and results. Not many other brands will let you talk directly to the owner and ask him anything you want.

Just get what you feel fits you for your lawn and applications.

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Dixie Chopper on hills. If I have a steep property to mow, that is all I would use. I have a couple Wright Sentars which are great on hills too, but the really steep ones only get the Dixie on them... it's safer. Also, the hyraulic system on a Dixie is better than any other mower.