Considering lawncare business, some history and questions.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Hi to everyone, I just found this website, and want to say it is great! Lots of useful information.

I am considering beginning a lawncare business in 2007. Here is some of the equipment I currently own for my own lawn care. I have a 2004 Craftsman 42" riding mower, Homelite weedeater, Stihl blower, Poulan push mower and a Black and Decker hedge trimmer. I have a 02 Chevy 2500HD pickup and a boat trailer I am converting to haul my equipment.

My first question is I don't think the riding mower would hold up to the daily use it would require. I am seriously looking at a 2006 Kubota zero turn mower but my funds prevent me from paying cash for the mower. Do you think I could get by without a commercial mower and still do a good job on lawns?

I know you all have probably heard this question a million times, but here goes. What's the best way to determine pricing lawncare for this area? I am in Tennessee. I've read alot here in the website but would appreciate anyone willing to help.

I have a full time job currently but work a minimum 50 hours a week. I am going to try to start parttime and hope to eventually go fulltime as soon as possible. What is the best way you can suggest for me to get into the business and get as many customers as I can as quickly as I can?

I'll stop here with the questions. Thanks in advance for anyones suggestions.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

you have to make due with what you have. 1st get registered and insured. why not get a 48" w/b and upgrade later to a ZTR? it will be more walking.. but you can get a Hydro w/b and throw a sulky on it. as for pricing i dont live in your area so i cant help ya there. and make up some flyers and cards and start leaving them on bulletin boards at stores, handing them out, etc.. and most importantly!!! DONT LOWBALL your way through this business.

3. Chris.S

Chris.S LawnSite Member

Great advise from Raven, DONT LOWBALL!!

Also, if it is within your budget to buy the new equipment you 'Need' by all means! If the mower and equiment is in good working order, I certainly would't go out and finance something new.

bottom line is USE THE EQUPIMENT YOU HAVE AND START MAKING MONEY, NOW!!

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You can start with what you have now but you need to upgrade soon, And very good advice about a W/B as it will do everything where a Z will not be as versatile

5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

One thing as well, if your trimmer is a bent shaft homeowner grade go get a striaght shaft. A straight shaft trimmer is 100 times easier to use and 100 times more productive.

6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

there is alot of advice one can give but that one by raven is a good start thats for sure

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out is difficult if you dont invest a little money no Im not talking 10000$ you can get a descent start with 3-4000. 1800$ you should be able to get a good w/b 36-44" deck dont go any bigger for now. 800$ can get some nice commercial grade line trimmer and edger. 400$ descent comm. blower,300 good set hedge trimmers. 700$ left for misc stuff. Then if it all goes south youve really not lost much since you could use what youve got maintain your own lawn or sell it and maybe loose 1/2.

8. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who have so far responded. I went for the gusto yesterday and bought a 06 Kubota ZTR demo, especially after some of the responses I got and responses from some friends. If I go under after I start next year, I'll have a super nice mower. I really want a bagger for it, but I'll wait to pay cash for it. I'm at the point of no return now, and really looking forward to getting this business going.

Ok next question, how are you all set up as far as a business? Self-Proprietorship or Limited Liability Company? I am kinda struggling with this one.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I am a DBA of an S Corp

10. Chris.S

Chris.S LawnSite Member

I prefer limited Liability corp. because it gives you the protection of a incorporated business and yet the flexability of a sole pro. ( you can still use a personal checking account for business or personal, you can file one tax return at the end of thee year.)