Considering New Lawn Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rjones14, Apr 25, 2008.

1. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am currently looking at a 98' or 99' dodge 3/4 ton truck. It is 2wheel dirve with a cummings turbo diesel. It was a work truck for a friends const. company that is no longer needed, has not been in use for over a year. I know diesel is over $4 a gallon now but the vehicle I am using now gets half the amount of miles per gallon as the dodge and the way gas is going it will be at $4 soon. He said he has to get $2000 for it; the problem I have is that it has 250,000 miles. I know nothing about a diesel but have heard they will run forever. Just looking for some advice from someone who has experience with these trucks. Thanks

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yikes 250,000 miles? The engine may run forever but remember the rest of the truck wont. Thats back when dodge had automatic transmission problems.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't buy something with 250,000 miles on it either. I would go as high as 120,000 for a Dodge cummins diesel truck. You are just asking for trouble at 250,000

4. DiGiTLawncare

DiGiTLawncare LawnSite Member

I have got two dodge cummins, one with 314,000 and ticking and one with 241,000 and still ticking. I would give $2000 in a hearbeat for that truck. (As long as it was in half ass condition) Mine are 1995/1997 model. 12v. You will have the 24V in that Rig which a lot say is a better motor stock but it is not quite as bullet proof as the old 12V. Hell I would still buy it you could clean it up and sell it for more than that. (I get constant 14mpg pulling a 24ft. enclosed around mowing)

5. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am going to carry it to my mechanic for a checkup and will go from there. After driving it and talking on other forum's I think it will be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the input I will keep you posted on the decision.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

2k sounds good to me

7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I'll buy it sight unseen.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Is it an auto or manual trans? Is the steering decently tight or does it have a lot of slop in it. 250K is nothing for the motor but its a lot on the chasis.