Considering Sales people

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Paradise Landscapes, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am consideing on talking on a salesman to help boost sales. This person would make in-person contact to Commercial - Residential potential clients.
    How should I go about hiring (interview) to Paying?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go sit down and have a few drinks with a TG salesman and ask him. I have found their workers to very helpful.

3. Paradise Landscapes

where can I find TG salesman?

4. Paradise Landscapes

What is a TG Salesman?

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

TG = True Green, your competition

6. Paradise Landscapes

I don't see how they are my competitors since I don't use chemicals.

7. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

I also am thinking of a sales/management person, kind of a mini me. someone to make sure calls get returned, bills are sent, payments pick up when needed, supplies ordered, permits in hand etc. That said I'm not sure how much to expect to pay or how to establish a pay system, base, commission, any ideas would be helpful. BTW I prefer the production side of the business and would like to spend more time there and less in the office or pick up chasing leads or materials.

8. Paradise Landscapes

I'm looking more of a person to make me sales. Everything else I can do. Everything would be based on commission. This will motivate the sales person to make more money based on his/her abilities.

9. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

commission as % of gross sales, % of profit if so how would you calculate overhead, your car your gas, your cell or theirs.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Even if you don't spray chemicals, True Green is your competition. They typically have a relationship with a local mowing company that they will refer clients to. Thats beside the point though...

My advice as far as a salesperson would be to give a set bonus per account. Otherwise your salesperson may expect residuals for the life of the account. Do you want to be cutting a salesperson that no longer works for you a check 10 years from now for a longtime account?