1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Considering starting part-time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Weekend Warrior, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior LawnSite Member

I'm in the military and just transfered to shore duty. I have a bunch of free time on my hands and was thinking about starting as an LCO. I could use the extra money for the baby on the way, plus I enjoy the work. I have a few years experience in high school, but nothing more than mowing a few yards in the neighborhood. I know part-timers are frowned upon, but I will not Low-Ball. A few of the questions I have are:

1. Is it too late to start advertising?
    2. Who do you get insurance from and how much should I expect to pay?
    3. I would like to get my foot in the door at the "nicer" neighborhoods and let my quality of work spread. Any suggestions.
    4. For commercial work (gas stations, home depot, etc) who do you talk to in order to bid or even find out if they are interested?

Thank you for your comments/suggestions/complaints.
  2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

1. its never too late to advertise but here in ohio I started mowing so most commercial places arent taking bids anymore....not sure about florida

2. my isurance is 278 a year (it covers 18k in equipment and a mill liabilty)

3. The best way to get into a nicer neigborhood you need refs and experiance and some "nicer" hoods are stingy and dont like to pay or want to pay much.\

4. it does not work the same in all commerical apps. but alot you ask when they are taking bids and when they are taking bids you give them one and they send it to their corp. office.
    some businesses will sign a contract for one or more years and some businesses wont.
    and some businesses you get on a calling list and they call you and give you info on where to send the bid. I had only one like that and it was Meijer.