1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Considering the illegal gas can business.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by horizonmowing, Sep 18, 2006.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

This is SO annoying. In my state it is illegal to sell the old style gas cans that worked perfectly. Some liberal environmental Bull Sh*t. Well, I bought a few "blitz" pieces of crap, lost all the little yellow caps, and am now spilling more gas then ever. I really think one of you who lives in a state with out this ridiculous law should put the old style cans on E-bay... I would sure buy a few.

P.S.- I tried the web but they wont ship into my state. What a stupid F'ing law!!!!

This is scary the laws that are getting passed these days....the 10 commandments and that all we need. If God didn't want these gas cans he could of made it number 11. JMO
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think its just your state. It probably everywhere. I also have the "Blitz" cans. But I have yet to lose any caps.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Not only have I lost all three of my yellow caps, But I lost a full can one day going down the road. When they heat up in the sun with the caps on they swell up like beach balls. I wish I could find the chilton cans. I did replace one of my caps though. Went to collect an outstanding debt from a dead beat and when they didn't answer the door (car was in drive) I turned around and took the cap off their can on the porch. Thank you. Same person owes me for 2 cuts and asked if I would take a post dated check. Today is the 18th and she wanted to date it the 29th. NO WAY. guess I'll be knocking in the door again.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Your state has no shortage of laws, rules and regs. When I moved there from Kentucky it was strange to have everything so tightly controlled. You need a permit to put up a out house. Better than Ca. though. From Virginia to the North east this seems to be common. Some nice folks but they like rules and regs. I'm like Outback Steakhouse's attitude "no rules, just right".
    Guess they get that from our Aussie friends. .
  5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

what do these cans look like? do you have a picture or a link to a picture of one. maybe i can help you out.
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

man a gas can is a gas can there is no whinning to be done here
  7. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

Too bad we cant find a way to use the ten commandments to help you keep up with your own gas caps. Anyway, these things are pretty sweet:

<a href="http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000480.php">smart fill</a>
  8. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

If you are sick of the Blitz cans, its understandable, because they suck. Wedco cans are 10x better as far as the pour spout goes. This guy on ebay has some: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...019QQitemZ290025222006QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They breathe well when pouring, and you pull the spout back to pour, and let it go to stop pouring. Best part is that they pour straight into the can, instead of spraying in all different directions like the Blitz do. The nozzle is actually 2 nozzles in 1. It has an air inlet, as well as the part that pours. This allows you to control the gas flow without an air vaccum. The flow automatically stops to prevent overflow when the air inlet comes in contact with the gas in your tank. Hope this helps.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Funny you mention this, I seriously had a dream last night that I was at my dealer and they had a pallet of the old rubbermaid gas cans with the bendable spout and vent at the other end. I walked out with 15 of them.......
  10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the blitz style, the plastic caps that are supposed to vent, don't vent, the can gets all puffed up by the end of the day. I have one of the caps sitting at the bottom of my tractor tank, probably forever.