Considering tractor purchase.........

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by K&L Landscaping, Feb 8, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Over the last few year's I have had to turn down quite a few well paying jobs because I didn't have a tractor to do them with. That's all about to change for this year. My question is, how much will I have to spend to buy a low hour, 4x4, approx. 20-35 HP compact tractor. I have looked at the JD compacts but they are really expensive new. I am just starting my quest in looking for one of these units so any advice will be welcomed.
  2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Go to caldwell tractor . com or google used tractors. You should be able to get into a decent machine for around $6000. If you want a diesel,4+4 and loader you are looking at 9-12 thousand. Ther'e are plenty of older model tractors out ther'e with low hours, if you go diesel you will be ok,myself, i would never buy another gas tractor. Kubotas are light,compact and very powerful,good luck.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Kubota would be a good tractor for you. They are very reliable and parts are easy to get. They are pretty popular or atleast they are around here so you should be able to look around a little and find one in your price range. Hope that helps.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

15K or sowith a few attachments

23K for a 43hp kubota, box blade and bucket new
  5. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

A year and a half ago I was doing the same thing that you are now.. After going to several different dealers, reading the classifieds and talking to people on this site, I found out that a good used tractor really holds its value. I found that for not much more I could buy a brand new tractor for 0 financing (that was for 12 mos) and get something with a 2 year warranty. I've had my brand new Kubota B7800 for a year and a half now and have had no regrets on my decision to go new vs. used.

My Kubota dealer asks me if I'm ready to trade up because he says he needs used tractors.

Good luck on your quest! :)
  6. jims_tractors

jims_tractors LawnSite Member

I like the John Deeres the best because the parts are available the same day as a breakdown. In my opinion they have the #1 resale value. It would probably cost you around $14,000 to $18,000 to get a good tractor in a 4 wheel drive with a hydrostatic transmission.
  7. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

I bought my new Kubota almost two years ago. I wasnt in the market for a new one but a used one in good shape was going to run me almost as much as a new one and Kubota (along with JD I think) was offering 0% financing. I figured what the he!!, give me a new one and let me keep your money for three years.
    I am happy as could be with my Kubota but JD, New Holland, Kioti(an up coming player) are all the major players and sell good product. Test drive alot of different models, makes and transmissions. You will be surprised how different they are and how you will almost immediately know which one feels right for you. Make a short list of what things are important to you. For me it was a nice strong and versatile 3 pt hitch, forward/reverse shuttle, 4WD, strong loader. I do grading, leveling and light excavating. If you plan on mowing, your list would look different, such as PTO HP, mid PTO, cup holder :) . If you have restrictions on size like fitting it in a garage or on a trailer, height or weight may be on the list.
  8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I can't dispute that john deere has the best parts support system,however,that doesn't mean that they have the best machine. I'm a kubota guy myself! Ther'e are rumors that caterpillar who now owns 50% of M.F. (challenger) is going to buy them out! If cat doe's this they will do serious new engineering and become a player very ,very fast!
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Cat does not own 50% of Massey Ferguson. Massey Ferguson is a worldwide brand of Agco corporation and so is Challenger. Caterpillar sold Challenger to Agco but they are still marketed by Caterpillar. If you don't believe me What you said about Cat buying Kubota is just a rumor like you said because that would never happen.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i really like where the bucket/arm controls are located on the JD.

i have always used the kubotas but now have a little time on the jd and like it much better.