construction down turn

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Dec 3, 2006.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

I read in this mornings paper that new construction is at it's lowest level in six yrs. with some builders abandoning projects before starting them because of the down turn in the real estate market. How do you think this will affect the outdoor lighting industry over the next few yrs.?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i don't think it will affect it all that much..
    we almost never do light installs on NEW houses. Ours are always people adding to thier existing homes.
    usually when prople buy a home, a good chunk of the landscape budget comes out of pocket. There are a lot of other out of pocket expenses when buying a new home... furnishings, closing costs, etc....
    so the landscape budget is normally pretty thin.
  3. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, we are finding in the southeast that more people are doing lighting bucause they are staying in their home instead of buying and moving in a year to make a quick profit. I think it is actually helping our business.
  4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

as for the next three years Mike, who knows, the higher level clientel insulate us from up and down trends in our economy. we only have 2 more employees than you so we don't need too many jobs in a year to pay the bills.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

The market jumped here when Katrina hit. Seems alot of higher end people moving here from the coastal areas 70 miles south.

Home values jumped and they are building new reasonable homes by the dozens here. Some newer high end homes here but unfortunatly there is still a huge trend with the electricians putting flood lights on every corner of the home shining out and then sodium lights facing at the home in every lawn.

Im still trying to change that trend here.
  6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The central Texas area is booming right now. It is breaking records and I can't see it slowing down any time soon. I also must say that I rarely install lighting on new construction.