Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stevegotcrabgrass, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

Working on a design for a slice of pie shaped area near a driveway. The owner would like something low maintenance but attractive. The image is attached of my ideas. The purple reddish shrubs are crimson pygmy barberry, The round shrubs are dwarf boxwoods only get 2ft wide by 3ft high about, The focal tree is a true dwarf Hinoki get to about 2/5-3 ft tall, I have some ornamental grasses to soften up the rocks and light post, the rocks are being used to take up some space, add texture and be low maintenance, I then have some impatients as annuals.....

What do you guys think? Tips, ideas? It will be mulched with Black mulch. a huge juniper was there previously and we ripped it out....the soil will need some work as it's fairly sandy......Thanks.

MS CONE NEW.jpg

2. Stevegotcrabgrass

Monday am bump....rainy as hell here today

3. Stevegotcrabgrass

Is it that bad lol.....

4. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that it looks OK. It's the front of the house that really needs some redesigning. Original planting was allowed to get entirely too tall.

5. Stevegotcrabgrass

Ha. That is AFTER I ripped out two HUGE shrubs which pretty much elimiated the front door from sight...and it's after I trimmed up the remaining shrubs. She is aware that those are too big and need to go but she wanted to do something for the front....I would rather her save her money for next season and spend what she can on ripping everything down now...but she is SET on getting landscaping done in those areas. She is also SET on black mulch...thank you for your feed back too.

6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably not force symmetry on a bed like that.Does not fit.
    Take out the landscape light,there is already a light there.Three large clumps of iris is a lot for a bed that size.
    Barberry either are or will be classed invasive in New York soon.

7. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

the only concern i'd have is how close you have woody shrubs near the street or driveway. i'd be worried about snow from passing snow plows burying and possibly killing shrubs located there.

8. Stevegotcrabgrass

I understand your worry about snow....that is an issue...I might rethink my idea.....I wouldn't want that Hinoki to get killed...not a cheap tree......
    a lot of sand and rocks in the bed due to plowing as well...

Any suggestions on a landscape that is located next to the street/driveway...

I don't have any Iris's in the landscape design? Those are ornamental grasses though Iris would look nice as well.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions comming

9. castle555

castle555 LawnSite Member

Well, you get points for putting it out there. refer to the climate zone in Sunset Garden Book -I have the western edition, however all of those items grow where I live. I see NY on your post, and don't really know your specific weather or seasonal needs,
    Not bad, not bad. .. Seems you have the right idea and does it fit the character of the rest of the yard?
    I would use an Acer palmatum Dissectum on a low mound there instead of the Hinoki -those dwarf Hinoki Cypress grow like watching moss on a rock -beautiful but slow and will not reach a good height for a long time. Let the Jap. Maple get a little height -raise the canopy and then it can fall around the other plants. Even that will take some time as the rest grow in.
    ANd the rounded soft forms of the boxwood give contrast to the shape of the grasses you are going to use. How about a dwarf Phorium tenax instead? Or using an African Iris Dietes Bicolor? -Just some suggestions.
    In my part of California (the big irrigated desert) we use the dwarf Boxwood Buxus 'Suffrucitosa' try that or the 'Winter Gem' which may require a once or twice a year shaping -all low maint.

Try a perennial like trailing purple verbena for color with some marigolds
    or Dwarf daylillies like 'Stella de Oro' -thats a great one.
    And, finally, what about a well placed native boulder to "anchor" that island
    and complement the tree's shape

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with doing the front. Curb appeal is key in this housing market, so I think the best return on the investment is the landscaping in the front.

The bed looks OK. I would maybe do it a little simpler, meaning just a shrub some low lying lilies, and a rock.