Consulting?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Field General, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

I have been asked to consult/oversee the renovation of the playing surface at a local schools football stadium. Most of the work will be performed by local community members and the booster club.

Has anyone been asked to consult? If so what did you charge?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider yourself lucky to be asked.

If this were my opportunity, charging for time would not be the biggest motivation. Sure you should be compensated somehow for your time, but if this is a high profile field I would consider charging minimally and consider it a marketing investment. It generates a ton of positive PR for you and your company, which will pay for itself many times over.

Remember that the community folks and booster club are not getting paid for their work on this project.

3. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. If this is a true renovation, are the boosters going to be providing the equipment, etc.? are they going to pay to have the work done? If professionals are going to be doing the renovation, there shouldn't be much overseeing for you. If the boosters are going to do this project without any professional help, i'd say they are in over their heads. If this is the case, i would run for the hills.

As far as consulting. it couldn't take but a couple of hours to do a site evaluation. If it were me, i would probably not take payment for that. If you are going to be overseeing this entire project, you have to be compensated at a normal hourly rate, IMO. consulting and overseeing are totally different IMO. overseeing would be much more time consuming and ongoing.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I did something similar, but on a much smaller scale. They were doing their own apps. (12-12-12 with urea in July) they asked me a couple informal questions about apps. I said "I'll do the apps. on the football game field at no charge." I have kids in the district and am a member of the community so I had multiple reasons behind this. The next year the boosters hired me to take care of a couple more fields and now, 5 years later I do broadleaf on the entire common grounds at 6 buildings, all athletic turf apps. on 7 fields, vegetation control, crack and crevice, etc... all because of a small donation. Short story long, I would look at it as a great opportunity.

5. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe i'm wrong, but i'm reading this as a construction renovation. donating time and chemical to do applications is much different than overseeing a renovation of the surface.

i'm not sure which he means.

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess that's what I meant when I said "on a much smaller scale" I agree it's on a larger scale, but it's still a way to get good free advertising. Even if you pick up a couple of boosters as customers, it'd time well spent. If it's really time consuming, taking away from other work, then I would say yes, a small stipend wouldn't be out of the question. But if all he's doing is advising and answering questions, then I can't see it taking all that much time.

7. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

I was contacted by the Head football coach for the High School. He used to be the Head coach at the district where I am the grounds keeper. We worked together for eight years, that is my connection. As was suggested I would do the work for free but the district is in west Virginia and I am not licensed in WV only in OH and PA. Therefore I cannot offer them service at this time.

I will be talking to the Athletic Director soon the get more details. From what I can gather they are looking at a re-crown, some drainage. Some ideas on irrigation and advise on general maintenance and upkeep.

I plan on keeping all of my options open, including getting my WV license. But the problem is the school district is about 35 minutes away from my home and completely out of my service area.

I am interested in hearing any and all opinions on the subject.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

A 35 minute drive would not be any kind of deterrent for me to get a WV license (is the reciprocity between OH or PA and WV?) and do the service if I had a connection like that and it was for a school district that seems like it is willing to spend money. Could lead to more athletic fields or some other work. If you are going to do the fertilizing on the fields once the construction is done I would see what is close by to try to grab to turn it into at least a 1/2 day of service to make it well worth the trip.

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with turf hokie.

35 minutes travel is really nothing. I'd bet 80% of our routes take 30-40 minutes from shop to starting first lawn every day of the week. And we only service the areas closest to our shop here......

I'd also chat with your friend, the coach. See if he has any insight as to what the district is expecting from your consulting role.

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great PR(advertizing) opportunity to me.

Use it in your advertizing. Will it be written about in local paper etc.

Add conulting to you business card and promotion material.