Consumer Fraud NJ (Don't let it happen to you)

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi all New Jersians,

Has anyone spoken with their attorney about the home improvement statute that will be in effect as of Jan 1 06'. From what info. my attorney has given me so far this is going to be a pretty serious thing. He shared with me that all landscape and lawn care companies will have to be licensed with the division of consumer affairs. This license # will have to be on everything. In addition if you are not licensed by Jan 1 06' any services performed will automatically be considered acts of consumer fraud.

The good news is that you have to be a legit business with a minimum of 500k gen liab per occur to even submit an application.

I just wanted to share with others what my attorney shared with me. I am not an attorney though. I say this to say talk to your attorney's and find out any info that you may need. It is better to be safe than sorry. I shared this with a couple of other local owners that I know and they were not that concerned. Any thoughts???

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

jersey sucks....
    'nuff said....

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

In More Ways Than One!

4. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Trinity are you licenced yet, because it looks like you only have about3 weeks to get it done? "if you are not licensed by Jan 1 06' any services performed will automatically be considered acts of consumer fraud."

what are you going to do, and where do you go to contact consumer affairs?
    do you have to have decals on your weedwackers?

5. nac

nac LawnSite Member

I don't know about enforcing it but it is true you need to be registered. I registered last year and it took about 6-8 months to get my paperwork back. but I'm good till Dec 06. Also the state has hired a couple hundred inspectors to check that all employees are legal and on the books I hear it is a 10,000.00 fine for the 1st offense.

6. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

ya we had a rep come to my class one day in school, they can get you for anything, and they will have a record of everything about your business. But most consumers dont know about them....:rolleyes:

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Hi SicNJ,

I do have the paper work in. My attorney took care of all that. As far as contacting them I am not 100% sure. Again, my attorney took care of that. You can probably contact them on the web.

As far as decals are concerned. Not 100% sure yet about that either. From what I know the lic# will have to be on all your vehicles like your pest#. Also, any bus. cards, flyers, advertisements etc. will to have your number on it. Anything in addition to that I am not really to sure about yet. I am waiting to get the paperwork that will explain all this in more detail. Again, this is just info that has been given to me.

I see that it says that you are from S. Seaville. Is that the one located in Cape May County? I am originally from OC.

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

there are only gonna enforce legit business's that have the money to pay for the fines... its not gonna stop all the mexicans and weekend warriors....

9. stripes

stripes LawnSite Member

has anyone filed recently and recieved their paperwork back? just curious if it still takes 6-8 months to get it back. im just finishing up my aplication and sending it in this week.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Still waiting for it. My application got sent in end of last month/begining of this month. I know that my attorney was saying that they were back logged and that we had to get it in quick. I am hoping that it doesn't take 6-8 months. I am sure that with the holidays the will probably be a little slow.