Consumer needs help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by MannyEdge, Aug 9, 2006.

1. MannyEdge

MannyEdge LawnSite Member

I am a DYI person. I wanted to know what are good products that a person like me is good use for Landscape Lights. Please let me know where I can purchase the items.

Thanks in advance.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

3. MannyEdge

Can I purchase kits on the website?

Thanks,

John

4. Pro-Scapes

professional grade lighting does not come in kits. It comes in components and a good installer or designer can select and assemble the right components for the job.

Everything from transformer to fixtures will need to be purchased seperatly. Its a huge step over homeowner grade materials and the results usually show it. If your not familiar with design and installation techniques I suggest either finding a reputable installer in your area or consulting a designer.

A good install with quality parts will save you many many hours of headaches later as well as saving you money when you have to do it all again

5. MannyEdge

I am not going to spend that kind of money for lights. I can do it myself. It is not that difficult to do it and I am sure the lighting equipment is better quality. I can just always replace the lighting down the road. I did get a professional to install my irrigation.

6. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a certain budget you want to stay in? If so, that might be the difference between a Kichler, Hadco, or Cast fixture or a Malibu system....even if you are going to install the lights yourself.

If you're only looking to spend a few hundred bucks then you might have to go with the Malibu type system for now. Again that all depends on how many lights you want to install.

Maybe you might want to post some pictures of your project and a couple of the pro's on here might be able to give you some design tips and you can go from there.

7. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Why would a Pro even take time out to respond to this?

The comments about how easy it is to lay out a system from a DYIer and how he's not paying alot of money for lighting etc. show a total contempt for our industry and an attempt to devalue what it is that we do. I tell the guy to go F himself.

8. Pro-Scapes

Quality components are not cheap. Dave is right... Whats your budget? The difference between what a real pro can do (load balancing...correct wire size... fixture placement... proper voltage) will really play a huge role in the performance of this system. Why dont you post a pic of the front of the house you intend to light?

Also if you have driven around and noticed the DIY lighting that just "glows" vs a real lighting project that adds depth and bueaty to a property.

Another question is why would you want to install something thats going to fail and just "replace it down the road" Why not do it right the first time and only have to worry about changing bulbs. If your looking for pro grade fixtures to purchase thats what they are going to cost you. There is alot more to doing it right that just poppin lights in the ground and "piercing" the main with some little thumb tack connector (DONT USE THESE THEY FAIL!!!!!)

You sound kinda handy. Im sure you could do it but at least do it right! A few of us took the time to reply to you and you seem to be ticked off we took time out of our busy days to answer you. You asked for pro advice you got it.

I actually almost agree with Desert on this for a change. Degrading our proffesion by saying its not that hard belittles us. Ever tried to bore a 30ft driveway in order to light 1 single plant? There is a real difference between a good design and some home depot lights dropped in your yard.

It would seem to me at this point your budget is not up for pro grade lights. You might be better off with metal malibu lights and replace them yearly or every 2 years. Thats about how long they last.

9. MannyEdge

Let me rephrase what I really meant. My house would not be that difficult for DIY. I do not want to degrade your profession. Outside of my house would not be that difficult for me just because of the layout of it.

What degrades your profession is a person like desert night light. Would you want to talk to someone like that and pay him for work? I do not think so. Desert night light uses such pleasent words, doesn't he? And, he said I degrade your profession, I do not think so.

If you guys do not mind, I will post pictures of my house in the next few days. And, desert night light, I prefer not to get a respond from you, it will not be worth it. LOL!!!

10. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Mannyedge, let me say that you are not paying a professional landscape lighting person for the installation as much as the knowledge that that person has attained by years of experience, not only in installation but design as well. I have spent thousands of dollars learning my field of expertise and I charge for that. Your right, it does'nt take an Einstein to install a lighting system but it does take a professional with years of (in the field) experience to do it well. You may choose to have a cheap system, and that is fine. My clients want a system that looks like it was designed and installed by someone who really knew what they were doing. Someone who knows the difference between cross lighting, back lighting, silhouette lighting, grazing and so on. I hope you can understand what I am trying to impart to you. Good luck with your lighting project.