1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Consumer Needs Professional Advice Zero-Turns

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fb1903, Mar 5, 2006.

1. fb1903

fb1903 LawnSite Member
    from 08867

Please excuse this newbie, residential question on your forum... but I am sure that the professionals can assist where others dare not tread.

Just bought a new home with a moderately sized 1.75 acre yard - I am thinking I need a 48" compact, zero turn machine (would like to complete the job in about 1 hour)... question is, do I need a commerical quality or will a residential model work just fine/hold up for a weekend warrior like me? :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

As with many of you guys, I tend to prefer using quality equipment, but am struggling with the significantly different (2x in some cases!) pricing for true commercial quality mowers. I take good care of my power equipment and want it to last, but I am certainly not going to be mowing all day long, many days per week as a commercial business would.

Any advice...?

I have been looking at a Cub Cadet RZT 50 ($3000 Home Depot), Gravley ZT 2348XL (~$4600), and a Ferris IS1500z ($5500), and even took a look at Kubota ZG20 ($$$).

Would appreciate any advice and guidance that you could provide...

Thanks in advance!!
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark makes a CT series ZTR, which is a heavy homeowner, light commercial machene. Toro makes the same thing with their Z Master 4000 Series. Last I knew these were both in the $5000 range. Also, you could look into the Toro Timecutter ZTRs, which are homeonwer machenes.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Is this the price range that you are looking in? I think that a good homeowners model will suit you fine. You are only looking to cut like once a week. The commercial grade equipment obviously is built to last longer, but it is made for those that are putting in some hours every week. Many LCO's will put as many hours on a machine in one week that would take you 1 or 2 years to do. When it comes to doing this as a biz MO is to buy commercial. If you are a homeowner buy HO. Unless you have the money to burn then buy the comm. If you take care of it you should have a machine that will last you next to forever with a homeowners amount of use. With that said my father-in-law has a Huskivarnia that he loves (Out Front Mulching deck) cost around $3k. Not to bad time wise. If you really want to get done fast you are probably gonna have to go Commercial (Faster Stronger engines/higher ground speeds) JMO
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Your question will likely be redirected to the homeowner forum but I will give an opinion. You could consider a hustler fastrack as they seem very popular and reasonablly priced. You already have some good suggestions from the previous poster. I would suggest checking with local dealerships, or in local papers like the Indiana Auto RV in my area for used professional models. These units likely will sell for 50 to 60 percent of new with two years and 600 to 800 hours or so on them. You will have the best of commercial quality build as well as engine longevity. You will not likely ever wear these units out as well if well cared for. You could probably get a 60" commercial unit that would have you spending time with the family quicker for the same money in a homeowner 48"

Good luck
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Something else you may want to consider is a commercial w/b with a sulkie. Even a hydro unit will cost about the same as some of the HO Z's you've been looking into and will be much easier to maintain, take up a little less storage space, doesn't weigh as much ~ resulting in less soil compaction, and will last you a lifetime with proper maintenance.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check my machine out. It will probably last you the rest of your life in your situation and you'll have that 1.75 acre done in less than 45 min.
  7. work_it

Absolutely!!! And what a great price ($4700). That is one heck of a nice mower. One thing that may help you sell it faster...take a scrub pad and some soap to the front of the deck. Once you get the grass stains off; replace the existing pic. I know it seems a minor detail to us, but call it human nature. People are more attracted to shiny clean objects over dull and dirty ones.
  8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I just picked up an '06 Hustler Mini FasTrack 42" with the Honda engine for a hare over 3800.00 + tax. They seem to have a great reputation around here (Lawnsite.com). I've look at the Box Store ZTR's and they made me cringe. It's kind of disgusting that they get that kind of money for those stamped out things.

I really haven't spent any time on MY mower yet, but it sounds like if you want to kill about 2 acres in an hour, you going to need a 60" to 72" machine, with a BIG engine.

I always thought the Ferris's were a piece of art, but I was at a dealer the other day who sells both the Ferris and Hustler. I said something to the effect of "man that Ferris out there is beautiful".... Elbow deep in grease he walked away from the equipment he was working on and said "follow me".... we walked outside and he flipped the seats up on the Ferris and a commercial Hustler that were side-by-side and started pointing and talking... I don't think they'll be selling too many Ferris's in the future with how they feel about the "serviceability" of the Hustlers.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
  9. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are several machines to choose from I would for home use take a look at maybe a country clipper there are several of them around here being used and they are priced good.
  10. work_it

Country clipper is made by Hustler. Just don't know if it's built to the same standards.