Consumer Reports rates homeowner ZTR's

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rbeitz, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Just received my May '05 edition of CR and this month includes their ratings on lawn tractors and homeowner Z's. The picks for the ZTR's listed from top to bottom were:

Snapper/Simplicity ZT1844
    Cub Cadet 15hp Z-force
    Ariens 1540
    Husqvarna z4217
    Toro Timecutter 1642Z

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

They mentioned about every single one available!

3. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

The cheapest one was the Husqy at $2700 and the Snapper/Simplicity topped out at $4000. These were list prices of course and I know most of them can be found for less than list.

4. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks Rob.

FWIW, I picked up the Husqvarna for $2600 with 4-year labor and parts service so I am pretty happy right now as I didn't want to go over the 3-grand mark.

Now all I need is for the builder to come hydroseed and get some grass growing.

T.Wells

5. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting. CR good stuff.
    did they have a "dont" list?

6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Not really. The Toro Timecutter was rank lowest at just above fair. All other models were good with the Snapper/Simplicity scoring a very good.

7. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I know the feeling. I'm watching and waiting for the grass to grow everyday. Can't wait for that first mow of the season so I can fire up the Scag and let her rip! A few more days of mid 70's weather and it should take off. Good luck with the Husqy. I've looked them over a couple of times at Lowes and they look decent for the price.

8. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I've mowed five weeks in a row! Will be mowing again on Saturday. :blob3:

9. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

You guys in Florida get to have all the fun! :blob3: We were fighting off snow flurries just a few days ago!

10. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks Rob. I was looking at Scag's, Exmark, and Cub Cadets at CDI in Collegeville, PA but I couldn't justify spending that type of money right now. I did pick up the Husqy at Lowes in Montgomeryville. It was priced at $2699 and I used the 10% coupon to get the mower for $2430 plus the free attachment (dump cart). I hope it treats me well.

I am going to look for a striper for it sometime soon and would like the Scag Tiger.