Contacting builders,property managers,hoa's for work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Indysfinestlawnservice, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Indysfinestlawnservice

Indysfinestlawnservice LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys I have been spending my time looking up builders and communitys in my area to see about bidding on their landscape and cleaning jobs, I am in the process of typing up a letter to each builder, property manager and Hoa that I can Find....I am also trying to start a residential/commercial cleaning business also so that when the lawn care slows down in the winter we can keep on pushing through the winter making a livin...has anyone ever went this route to get business??:drinkup::drinkup::cool2:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That' a good idea to have a good letter or two (for different marketing programs) for things like managers and builders. As far as the hoa's go...they usually just approach you. :walking:

3. Indysfinestlawnservice

from Indiana

Thats what Im thinking, I have been working on a couple of letters and Im gonna set my laptop up so I can fax it to them instead of mail..Ive been sending letters to homeowners trying to build residential customers but postal is exspensive

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Most builders are going to look for the people they want, or they will already have someone on speed dial. HOA's are a good approach, just find out who the president of the Assc. is and send him/her your letter and bid, and same goes for other comm. properties. Make sure you have insurance and are lic. for Lawn treatments because most comm. accounts they like having 2 or more company's to keep up with. Good luck!

5. Indysfinestlawnservice

from Indiana

I am an LLC and I have insurance, I found a local builders website and it list all the contact info for thier communities (HOA).Most are managed by property management companies...I like the idea of sending the bid along with the letter so they already have your prices, marketing is a ***** when you are not trying to spend everything you got..Love the ideas you guys have..

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Incidentally, don't go through all this trouble and work to create a nice letter (or letters) to be professional and then blow it by sending it through their fax. Unless you want it to go into the round file along with al the unsolicited ads from the medical insurance salesmen and the local sandwich shops, this is NOT the way to go. You send a formal letter, along with the proposal. If you drop it off personally, that is a great thing, as well...probably even better.

7. a&llandscapes

a&llandscapes LawnSite Member

You have to get to them through the door past the secretary i have sent a million letters and it dont work around here i go see the people i get in the door i meet them or if i cant meet them i find out who is in charge so i can contact later if i do get in i try to talk with them but most of the time they are busy so i try to BOOK ANOTHER MEETING !!BAM!!! it is a tough thing to do in my area:hammerhead: