Contemplating pavers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gvandora, Jul 31, 2004.

1. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

My experience in landscaping so far has been limited to plants and trees with a tiny bit of hardscaping. I'm considering getting into paver installation and/or other stone type patios. I have a client that would like a patio of some variety. Can you all suggest some places to start for information on paver installation / stone patios. I have tried a few manufacturers website for installation specs. They have been helpful, however, I need more guidance as far as estimating, and designing these sorts of jobs.

My initial patio would probably be something small in the range of 150-300 sq ft.

I know I'm sort of all over the place with this one, but please help if you can. Thanks!

2. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

After finding the install specs by the mfg's, I'd looking for the rest of your info. here on LS. Use the search function and dig around in the past. I KNOW it's been discussed once or twice.

3. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Can anyone recommend any good books on paver/stone installation?

4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Check out barnes and noble ...look at the install specs from the manufacturer and go from there......the only way to fully accomplish a succesful stone patio is to actually work with the products.....take your time with your first patio.....be detailed but still keep it simple....price it based on sq ft...know all of your material /labor/disposal/machinery costs up front....it is very easy to loose profit on hardscape jobs if you do not know ALL of your costs......Alos check out you local stone yard.....they typically run clinics on how to install patios, steps and walls. Some of the tools you will need will be a saw with a dimond blade.... i recommend a 14" blade, thi scan be rented, get a compactor also can be rented, various shovels,pics, a string line level, masons line , a 48" level, mallets, very sturdy wheel barrows, a course push broom, a few differently weighted hammers and chisels, and even some tools you will have to make yourself. Start small with walkways..if doing patios make sure you stay simple on your first few, always pitch away from the house, always play with the ground as much as possible rather then trying to level each individual stone, and always have enuff help to complete the job and be profitable.......Stone work is pretty intensive labor and deserves a high price tag for everything....good luck and I hope the helps a bit.

Chuck

5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty good advice has been given. However, if you are looking for a book on installation, I recommend this book (follow this link)

http://www.pavetech.com/

It was written by Steve Jones, the owner of Pavertech and a founder of the ICPI. I make it mandatory reading for all my new employees. Only problem is they always seem to be back ordered.

Best of luck with your project.

Peace,

Rex

PHOENIXPAVERS.COM

6. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

If there is a home depot where you live there is a book called "walkway and patio 1-2-3" that is a great book! It'll tell you everything and i mean everything about patios and walkways even how to tint concrete! It has softset and hardbed and boardwalks and rustic paths 2... I recommend it and its only i beleive $25.95 or something like that

7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Rex Mann:
    First off i have to say you are one of the leading pave guys i look up to on here. You do some great work.

I did not find a "book" per say on pave tech. Did i just miss it? I saw the downloadable files. Those were helpful and i believe that is what you were referring too, but i figured i would just check for sure.

I am trying to build a library both of books and video's so i really want to make sure i get good stuff vs. home owner crud. Know what i mean? So far i pretty much only have pond and waterfall stuff. I am trying to get my landscape supply store to get me some training matierials, but we are approaching week three now and still nothing. SIGH:)

8. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

You need to scroll to the bottom of that page on the Pavetech website.

Peace,

Rex Mann

Lasvegaspavers.com