Content Link

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by robertsturf, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I thought the problem was at my end and ran McAfee and something one of my kids gave me thinking I got a virus and when they both came up empty I was worried !
    Now if I can make a suggestion... Instead of hitting the members with this stuff, can you set it up so only the guess have to deal with it ?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I did a little poking around, and here is how to remove the ads if they annoy you as much as they do me.

You may recall my post some time back on how to remove the ads from lawnsite, we will use this technique again.

First locate your hosts file on your machine, on windows XP/Vista it will be

Windows\system32\drivers\etc\

The file is called 'hosts'.

On Mac OS X and linux, you can find this file under '/etc/hosts'

Open the file, and add the following lines to the end.

127.0.0.1 kontera.com
    127.0.0.1 kona.kontera.com
    127.0.0.1 kona2.kontera.com
    127.0.0.1 te.kontera.com
    127.0.0.1 ads.lawnsite.com

Reboot, and the stupid context ads will be gone. This works because the ads javascript files are being loaded off of the kontera domain, so we redirect this domain to your own local computer.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Everyone - My apologies if the new ads are bothersome. It is something we are just testing out. There are no requirements of you the user, the site has not been hacked, and there is nothing wrong with your computer on your end. Basically, when a word comes up on the site in their network, it is highlighted. if you scan your cursor over the word, an ad pops up for you to look at (if you want to) and then you have the choice to go to the ad or not by clicking on it.

We were actually trying to generate revenue without adding more buttons and banners and things that have seemingly become too much. I swear to you we are just testing this out and if it is truly a nuisance or truly is that much of a problem - we will scrap it.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

If you scraped it right now, it wouldn't be soon enough.

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

It's VERY bothersome!!!

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's jsut dumb... It would be a little different if the stuff it highlights was all "green industry related" But "cat food" is NOT. as well as 95% of the other words I see it catch. Dosn't make a lot of sence to have it on this forum.

If the site needs money that badly, maybe start taking collections, selling shirts and hats, doing raffles for prizes, stuff like that.

Though, as mich as I complained about the banner ads on the side, eventually, like most everyone else, I just don't notice them anymore. Oh, wait, are they there to get noticed? oops. Guess they aren't doing the job, lol.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Add the following lines to your hosts file.

127.0.0.1 Kona3.kontera.com

Looks like they added a 3rd server.

No more context ads for me :)

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of that rotten crap, that's what Google is for dang blasted it!

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It takes a few days for the words to match with what makes sense on this site. In other words, right now, most of the words highlighted in blue do not make sense for the ads being served. It is an algorithm issue that will be resolved in short order.

But I am listening to you guys and if in a few days this does not smooth itself out then we will in fact scrap the experiment. I just ask for a little patience. I really appreciate it guys.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of it ASAP!!! I read one really long post and there was 14 blue little "thingies", they keep drawing my mind away from what I am trying to read!