Contents of Websites

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by NewHorizon's Land, Nov 18, 2007.

What is the MOST important thing in a website?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2007.
  1. About us

0 vote(s)
  2. Services offered

6 vote(s)
  3. Contact us

1 vote(s)
  4. Photo gallery

4 vote(s)
  1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

What do you feel should be in a website for a "starter website".
  2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the above. I don't really think any one of them is any more important than the other, but are all very important as a whole.
  3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Most will want to See what you do, not hear what you do.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I skipped voting for "contact" us, even though it is - beyond dispute - the most important of all.

If they can't contact, what good is all else?

Otherwise, I say "services offered", because photos often don't explain what a company does.

A great looking lawn photo, even with sprinkers running, does not say whether a company installs lawns, installs sprinklers or overseeds.

Services is the cake and photos are the frosting. Frosting is a bit odd without a cake to put it on.

I consider "about us" to be second most important, or a tie for most important.
  5. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to all.
  6. Trkcat_Ga

Trkcat_Ga LawnSite Member

I didnt vote...

Most important part of a site is the person/s visiting your site.

Most important thing's your site can do....

Be informative enough to represent you as if you were selling it in person and keep that visitor tuned in and in some cases coming back.
  7. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I voted Services.

I can tell you that these are the statistics for my site and where my customers go. I just ran this update to post here. Keep in mind, my home page obviously gets all the initial hits so I did not include it in the list although it obviously had most. The percentage indicates the number of unique hits compared to the home page. So I picked Services since you didn't have a specials page listed.

Pages Viewed as a & to the Home Page:
    #1 Specials (51%)
    #2 Services (42%)
    #3 About Us (20%)
    #4 Contact Us (19%)
    #5 Portfolio (13%)

So I would say that SPECIALS (not on your list) is important to 51% of the people that visit my site. Obviously everyone is interested in your services or they wouldn't be there.

In consideration that I consider the "CONTACT US" page to be the most important (how else do we make our money), I ran these stats also for you (if you care).... These are the pages they came from when they went to contact us. I figure, the pages they were at just before CONTACT US are probably the most important. The better they are, the more likely they'll click on Contact Us...

#1 Specials (23.59%)
    #2 Home Page (21.34%)
    #3 Services (19.86%*)
    *MaintenanceService/subsection of Service (10.56%) and Service/General (9.3)
    #4 About Us (6.93%)

Looks like I need to make my specials a little better, or take them out completely.