contingency plan help needed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by coyoteman, Feb 22, 2004.

1. coyoteman

coyoteman LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of doing our companies contigency plan for our pesticide storage area incase of spill or/and fire. We have mapped out the storage area, assigned emergency cordinators, obtained all required emergency equipment and made a list of emergency numbers. But what i'm not sure of is the emergency procedures in order they need to be done For: 1. a pesticide spill and no fire 2. a fire with no chemical release. 3. Both a fire and spill. 4. Pesticide poisoning. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and any thoughts for other examples of emergencies.

Thanks

2. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Coyoteman,
    As a firefighter/medic I would reccomend that you contact your local FD and talk with their haz-mat person. They will have the needs that you should fullfill and by working with them it gives them a chance to know what you have, pre-plan for that accident and be able to mitigate it with less loss to you and less hard to them. JMO.

Eric

3. coyoteman

once this is done i need to forward it to the fire dept. But they are not much help here as i've already been down to see them. This is a requirement from our local environment. Do you guys not need a contingency plan to store pesticides in your area?

4. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am not a haz-mat guy nor do I store any pestisides(yet) , but I will check into what we require here and let you know. I do know a lot of it depends on the amounts you have on hand. I am also sorry that your local fd is not too helpful, that is shame, I mean they do work for you. If you gave customer service that way, how many customers would you have?

5. coyoteman

Thanks for the help. Look forward to hearing what your dept. has for requirements.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, every one in the US that has a Pesticide business is required to have this. there is really nothing to it. get a bag of kitty litter. shovel. arrange your storage area so it will contain a spill, if one happens. mark the outside of your building with haz-mat signage
    get a eye wash and first aid kit. provide all your safety gear.... in case of fire call fire dept. if sign are in place, you have notified the fire cheif via cert. mail of what you have, then the pesticide investigator may come and check your site once a year if that, they will let you know if something is wrong. hope this helps, also your study book should tell you what you need to do to store pesticides safely.

7. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the update J. I dont' deal in the front office with the who what when where's I do the hows, how to fix the problem after the fact. I know if a buisness owner calls us, we send him to the office and then we will do a pre-plan/walk through to get familiar with what thios person has. Our front office contact will walk the powner through what is required of them.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. coyoteman

Thanks for all your help guys. I got it done today with the help of a few locals. Gives a little peace of mind knowing we have a plan of action incase of an emergency.

10. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Way to go, see this site is real helpful, even when dumb fireman isn't LOL!!!