Contract bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BensLand, May 27, 2001.

1. BensLand

BensLand LawnSite Member

I have just been invited to give a bid on a yearly contract to provide landscape maintenance for a condominium complex. I don't know all the details yet. I just want to ask for advice on what things to consider. This will be my first.

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Look closely at the specs, and only bid on what the specs call for. Don't add in things that YOU would do to the property. If they don't have specs, and sometimes they don't, ask very specific questions about what services are expected.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Bid a few... never awarded any...always "way to high"..not really interested in them.

4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

If you can find out who has been doing it in the past. Does the condo renew with the same co. Why not. Looking for a rookie that does not know the prices? Look out for lots of work with no gratitude.

5. whitinglawncare

whitinglawncare LawnSite Member

Bid a few of them, but always encountered the buddy system. Someone at the complex already knew who was going to do their lawncare, but figured that they would get a second opinion. It wasted a lot of my time with no reward to show for it. Be careful and leary about getting into one of those. Like someone else said, do your research and findout why no one else already had the job.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we sometimes pick them up. the buddy system exists, and other bids are asked for to keep the current guy honest. if it is bed/lawn maintenance, a proper and expensive chemical plan can remove alot of labor on weed pulling. also, an app or two of newer groth reg. can cut down mowing. Dave g

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

The majority of our maintenance work is condo complexes and sub-division common areas. Make sure you have a detailed contract and a clear understanding with the property manager of what you will and won't do. Just remember...cut a residential yard you have one customer to please, with a condo you have to please hundreds of people. Can make for a challenge.

8. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

I WOULD FIND OUT WHAT THE LAST CO. CHARGED AND IF THEY GOT RID OF THE CO. WHY AND IF ITS BECAUSE THEY DID NOT DO A GOOD JOB , THINK OF A PRICE AND EVEN IF THE PRICE IS A LITTLE STEEP , DO A GOOD JOB, PEOPLE DONT MIND PAYING EXTRA AS LONG AS U DO A GOOD JOB EVERY TIME!!!!!!!
    :D