Contract Language

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Stonehenge, Feb 11, 2000.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I've been in landscaping awhile, but am planning to take the plunge into plowing snow next year. One subject I haven't found much on yet is contract language. Does anyone have advice about things to include in a contract (or preclude), like who pays for what damage to the site, how soon after the start of snowing will you begin to plow, stuff like that? Thank you in advance.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You need to ask if its not in the bid solicitation. Every bid package I have recieved has had these issues spelled out in them.<p>Nilssons book on snow plowing has sample contracts in it, I would recommend it immensely. Link at the top.<p>Bill

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok Nillsons book is way overated. Sample contracts are just that. You need to put into your contract what works for you. Use common sense and logic. Dont get bogged down in double talk and legal jargon.<br>Chucks plowing handbook has good common sense items to put into a contract. <br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html<br>plus great plowing tips that no pro should be wothout<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I know a lot of guys who plow with out contracts. I will not plow with out a contract and don't recomend it. One thing i will recomend which is kinda a bid/ contract agreement is this. Others in this conference have complained about not getting jobs, and having other companies take them. This is what i do, when someone signs a contract for the year this is what they get. I will plow/ sand and salt their lot for the season for X amount of cost. If they sell the property they must pay the balance for the remainder of the season. I tell them, that they can put the cost of snow removel right into the cost of selling the property. It works out great, the new owner has a contractor to plow, i keep my property, i get my money, and everyone is happy. I have only had a property sold mid season once in 10 years.<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have posted a sample contract on my web site.<br>www.thehousedoktor.com<br>It has items that work for me, however from feedback that I have heard from people that have used it as template, it works well for them also.<br>Or email me at plowking35@aol.com <br>and I will send it direct<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br>

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Plowking35 - the sample contract is a big help! I'll probably look it over in the next few days and re-post (or email) with more questions. Thanks