Contract or agreement?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ATVracer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just now getting ready to start applications. Should I use a written agreement or a contract when signing customers up? The word contract tends to scare people sometimes. I am going to use some of the examples of ones I have seen on here. If anyone has another example to share it would be very thoughtful. Also after signing people up do you even include a cancellation policy? I assume the agreement should be written so that customers cannot cancel? Thanks!

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

my 'contract' gets them to agree to pay for services that I render. It also allows them to sign off on things like interest rates, and the no refunds policy, and service that auto-renews. However my contact allows cancellation at any time via 30 days notice, in writing. In reality, I'll accept a cancellation at any time except in the middle of an app.

I think that a long term commitment will scare customers more than anything.. (we're not cell phone companies) main thing is you want to make sure that you always get paid for services.. don't want them calling you the night after a treatment, or stopping you in the middle of one with the idea that they can say "oh I didn't want this scheduled treatment.." and then get out of their final bill.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It's very hard to get people in this area to sign a contract unless they are com.JMO

4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it is the area... but here it's not a problem. I show the customer the quote, at the bottom of it is a place that says "I accept the terms and conditions of service printed on the reverse side of this quote" I then tell the customer "Please sign here. This is just to guarentee that I get paid, and you can cancel the service at any time, for any reason."

Never had a single complaint or lost sale over it.. but if someone freaks out, you could always do their yards w/o contract. Better to have a few customers with them, then have everyone w/o imho

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We're required to have a contract on file by the DEC.
    So it is very easy to say "Your word is good with me, but the state wants to see a signature to prove that I gave you the information that I am required to"
    And then when they dont pay, it is easy to get the money b/c you now have a signed contract.

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't the consumer information notice do the same thing. At least to cover your legalities. Maybe differen't in NY than NJ.
    -Jay

7. turf hokie

You would think so. But NY contracts need to have number of apps, cost per app, a 3 week window of app. and a whole bunch of wording on it, in 12 point font. So the state wants a signed copy proving that all the info has been provided.

I put all the product/consumer information on the back of the contract. This way the signature is two fold. It shows they received the information and I have I signed contract as well.

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! I thought Jersey was bad.Thats a good idea putting the consumer info notice on the back.
    -Jay

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

10. turf hokie

I like the "more or less" commnt b/c mine is very similar in content. The format is different but the DEC just won't seem to say "that's what we want". I think they just want to keep it open ended so they can find something if they really wanted to.JMO