Contract or Not

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rodbite, Aug 15, 2004.

1. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

I am looking for sample contracts that include details on payment and non-payment.

I am finally starting my business. I have the following:

2- 22'' Mowers
    Echo Weed Eater
    Echo Edger
    Blower
    and lots of hand tools.

By next month should have Trailer and 36" mower. I have my first four customers and they all did not want a contract but did pay first month in advance.

Rod

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is my opinion on contracts, yes they scare people. I know that this may sound bad, but the first couple of years work without contracts to build your customer base and build trust. After that bring out the contracts

3. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I think thats how its going to end up. However i will try hard to get the first month upfront. I am trying to build the business and my wife is 9 months pregnant with our first.

Rod

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

rodbite,

Congrats on your first child. Enjoy. Anyhow, all my contracts basically state who I am, who the customer is, and the price for mowing. I don't lock them in to any length of time. That scares people away, although many will disagree with me. If they don't want me anymore, I'd rather not keep dealing with them, if you know what I mean.

Definitely write up some sort of contract for any work that is more detailed and pricey, that way there will be no confusion over what you will be doing for the customer.

5. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new at this too. I first talk to the customer and go over what lawn service he needs. Then, I write up an estimate and the next day I go back to the customer and hand him the estimate. I go over the est. with the customer that way there is no miss understanding in regards to my services. I do not have him sign anything, simple give him a written estimate. My 2 cents worth.