1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Contract question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Microbe, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Do all landscape contractors have one contract for the year including getting paid for rainy days? The thing that gets me is that when it rains I make little money sooo.... I guess landscapers charge one price for the year and this includes wether or not it rains right?
  2. Thatguy682

Thatguy682 LawnSite Member

If it rains I either cut in the rain if it isn't pouring, just be carefull or make it up on another day. The only exception has been last week when it rained for about a week straight, the first day we cut in the rain, the rest just skipped a week and nothing was billed for it.
    I guess it really depends how you set it up though, if you do one price for the season and it rains I'd try to make it up but if I couldn't I'd so be it. If you send an itemized bill for the month I don't think you could charge if you didn't cut.
  3. SouthJerseyLawns

SouthJerseyLawns LawnSite Member

Be careful to not forget what it's like to be a customer. Would you want to pay someone for work they didn't do? Best thing you can do is try and make it up by selling them extra services like hedge trimming and special projects. Try gutter cleaning. Of course you make sure to sell them a good fertilizer program so their lawns gro like crazy after a good rain and you have to cut them twice in the week.
  4. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the reply!!! I was just thinkin... cause today its a noreaster and I havn't cut since friday... been off of work for like almost 2 weeks combined this season which isn't good for me... I'm thinkin of making contracts that state to give me 2 rainy days with pay... Even with the hedge trimming.. Hedge trimming is something that your supposed to do... its not extras really... unless the customer does it himself.. I was just curious if anybody has contracts that state pay for season regardless of how many rainy days there are...
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi Microbe,

I think what you see in contracts quite often is a fee evenly spread across 12 months. Maybe this is something you are looking for?

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>