1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Under what circumstances would you NOT want a contract if you are mostly doing lawn maintenance?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

P I T A Customer

3. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Even with a PITA I would want a contract, just make sure your contract has a way for you to terminate it.:weightlifter:

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If it comes back w/ any modifications initialed by client that you do not agree to. Examples include change of paymet terms, change of mowing frequency, deletion of clean-up portion, etc.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Never.

contracts spell out the agreement. I will do this and you will pay that. spells out late fee policy, all the other stuff.

No contract no success in collections. Nothing to fall back on and say, Mr Jones your monthly payment does not include mulch or weed control that is why you have 3 foot weeds in your bed. that is your problem.

6. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

What if it would put you out of business?:waving:

7. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

how is this going to put you out of business?

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

depends. do you want to be professional or be like the joes with the lawn boy sticking out of their trunk....A contract will not stop you from getting screwed, it will only help you get your money back when you do get screwed.

Point out to the coustomer that the contract, also protects them in regards to gauranteed pricing, it spells out exactly what you'll do and what you won't do...shows thatr that you are in it for th long huals and that you want to be there the whole season. Explain the out clauses, ect.

If ALL your coustomers are not willingto sign a contract for services rendered, then you must not have too many customers, or your customers don't belive in the work you can do. I had a few who did not want to sign, but they prepayed for the whole year....

Explain to the custoemrs you are trying to expand you business and you need to have some idea of the amount of income you can generate for equipment purchases, ect.

9. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

If you were in a location were contracts were not accepted by customers at all for lawn care servives.:waving: So if none of your customers were going to sign would you go out of business or would you work without a contract?

10. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I don't have contracts for my residential work, only for my commercial work and they prefer a contract that way they can hold ME to it. On your homes just ask for a months deposit and explain that it will be applied to the last month of service for the season. This will cover your service for the month that you are in and if they don't pay after a short period stop service.