Contract Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Nov 15, 2002.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

I am trying to get a commercail property that I mowed last year for $75 a cut onto a yearly contract. I figure the season up here is from April to November. So I did my intial contract on a 32 cut schedule. I am curious if this is an over estimation of cuts. I don't want the customer to get upset if I only cut 27 times and not 32 due to rain drought or waht ever else can happen. So my questions is should go under the maximum ammount of cuts and how many? I was thinking 24 would cover it, but then we are talking of a loss of $600. Waht do you think.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go with 30 cuts. This takes you half way into Nov. (if you begin at the beginning of April. Here, we don't usually start right at the beginning of April. If you don't happen to start right at the beginning of April, so what. This will give you a little margin to cut a bit more frequent during the early growing season. If you go dry during the heat, you can extend your cutting a bit farther than mid November. What many do, is have a clause that if it takes more cuts at the end of the season, then this can be done for the price per cut. This way it's fair to everyone.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not get them on a 12 month payment plan. You can still charge per cut but get money coming in all year round. What you do is tell them it will be $200/month (32 cuts times $75 divided by 12 months). Start the first payment in Jan. At the end of the mowing season, adjust the Dec. payment if necessary. Ex. If you only mow it 30 times then Dec's payment would be $50 ($200 minus 2 cuts). If you happen to mow it more than 32 times or if they ask you to do extra's during the course of the season, adjust up for the last payment. I have alot of my larger accounts on this plan. Good luck.
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

However many cuts you decide to go wth, add the total (ex.30cuts x 75=2250) then divide by to give you a monthly price for 12 months. $187.50 If its an odd number like that I usually go back and redo the initial cut or monthly price to make the number even, like maybe either $185 or $190. I go in $5s.