Contract Terminated (need help!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pasto_guy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

I had a maintenance contract with a company. Unfortunatly I underbid this property. No I'm not a lowballer, but I did underbid this contract by mistake. The reason for the termination was that we did not pick up trash around their grounds after the season. I did not even see this in the contract but it is there. Number 1: No I am not interested in trying to keep this contract for more reasons than just the underbid. Now to the question. This contract was on a monthly payment arangement (which was always very late and unpredictable). So we have completed more work than what was paid for. The company says that no more payments will be issued. I have over three thousand dollars worth of work that has been completed but not paid for because of when the contract began and when they terminated it. How would you handle this. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. david scott

david scott LawnSite Member

sounds familiar, ihave a similar contract that is very unpreditable on payments,just collected last check for october.the only way i get paid is to keep calling! did you have in your contract a termination notice or any signatures?

3. pasto_guy

from VA

Unfortunately there are no termination specifics. I'd just really hate to not be able to collect on what is rightfully owed.

4. david scott

sounds like a dilema tried better buis. bureau?

5. pasto_guy

from VA

I have not tried them yet. Hoping that I won't need to.

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try to handle it like this... I would inform them that I suspended all services due to late payment, then after suspending service for _____ weeks. Then I would state my intention to collect for services which were already performed, and that I will not be resuming services due to customer not honoring payment obligations in a reasonable amount of time.

7. pasto_guy

from VA

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. They said that they had not seen my crew since november. Their last payment was made in november for Octobers payment.

8. david scott

sounds good to me 2 this is why i dislike comm. work always seem 2 find bad apples

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like a big box store company based out of Arkansas??

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure by reading your post that you signed a contract that THEY provided for you. That was your first mistake. Get the bid specs and then incorporate them into YOUR contract. Your contract will be fair, but it will protect your interests. If you don't protect your interests, don't look to the client to do so.