Contract work with the City

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 24, 2002.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have been contacted to give bids to the city for mowing private home lawns. The owners have not done the lawn work so the city is going to get it done and fine the owner. Have any of you done this for your city? Any comments?

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Be wary of 3 ft tall grass and MANY ODD AND UNHEALTHY items buried within!

Our county is voting on doing the same type of thing here. I think it will be a blessing for our biz but I'm interested as you are as to the ups and downs......

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Who's going to pay when you get a flat tire; surenge in the eye; wire wrapped around your spindle; attaked by the dog or any unforseen but related incident?

Ya gotta think if Gov. workers who sometimes have excellent benifits and dependable days off why do they want to farm out this kind of work.

Just had a thougtht! Maybe they think the home owners might either run out of the house at them and throw something at them or take a pot shot at them. Hmmmm.... sounds more lucretive by the minute.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be very careful of this. I had an oportunity several years ago to take all the work I would have ever wanted like this. After researching the PAY (or lack there of) and the height of the grass, 3 to 5 feet high, and that it HAD to be bagged. I decided that I didn't need the work that bad.
    1. They set the pay, you don't get to bid it. And they were WAY too cheap.
    2. If you took on a job you HAD to get it done in a certain time, or lose money.
    3. The props were WAY out of hand, and had to be bagged and hauled off and like was mentioned before what about all the stuff in there under all that tall grass you can't see?

If they will let you bid the lawn then you should be OK, but be very careful and do your research before agreeing to anything.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I know the guy who does the "Code Enforcement" mowing for our town. He says most every job is a nightmare. He gets $50.00 for an average overgrown lawn, but really big messes pay more. He uses one of those Billy Goat minature brushog - type machines for most jobs.:)

6. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THAT KIND OF WORK IF YOU DON'T NEED IT. I WAS DOING THAT TALL GRASS STUFF FOR A RENTAL AGENCIE A FEW YEARS BACK. TOLD THEM TO TAKE A HIKE AFTER A WEEK. IT IS HARD ON YOUR EQUIPMENT AND IT IS NOT VERY ENJOYABLE OR REWARDING.

7. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Marley said it all. Ive done it and wont do it again. Bent blades, flat tires, trash, rats, toilet seats. You name it you will find it.

James

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to bag it all,then I would give it a miss. If not then
    a small tractor with bush hog would be a good option with a couple of good heavy brush cutters like Shindaiwa C350. Could
    be a good earner if you price it right and use the right equipment.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I do this in our city (1 of 5 contractors) along with occasionally removing graffiti, boarding vacant homes once they are left unsecure, and removing debris. I've found ways to make this earn over $100 per hour, usually around $400-500 per week, by getting the work done early in the morings or added to late days. There can be many hazards to this, but there are also ways to make money specializing in this type of mowing. You just need to understand that it isn't like going to somebody's house every week. I wouldn't make the mistake of ignoring the potential income here.

10. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

OK I will be doing the work for the city. Met with the public works and code enforcement directors today. There will be 5 LCO's that will rotate on doing the jobs for the city. We will be paid by the hour with a two hour min. Sounds like it will work out. They have 80 lawns at this time. Plus the city will spread the word to others about our services.