Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KerryB, Sep 12, 2001.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I think I have worked out the bugs, look at my contract and let me know.
    You guys and ladies are very knowlegable and have helped me so much.
    Thank you all very much.
  2. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of it looks real familar too me, just like the one i posted. :D
  3. KerryB

funny you should say that sinclac,
    I hope you and some others dont mind.
    I took hints and parts from mine and several others. Thanks for the help.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Kinda brings a tear to the eye doesnt it Chuck to see all this flattery by having your contract ideas picked apart for what someone else needs -LOL!!! :cry: :blush: :cry:
  5. KerryB

Sorry kut
    If you guys really want to keep it a secret and not share then i will forget all the knowledge you have imparted at lawnsite.
    and I will redo my contract and take all you guys stuff out lol
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If I was truely afraid of competition in my area reading what I have to say I would have stayed a lurker.

Hopefully the ignorant SOBs will at least learn something and bring up the fair market value -LOL!!!

No harm taken thats why I post here.
  7. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

We will go ahead and let you use parts of our contracts but we want a percentage of each contract LOL
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

A couple of things that were brought to my attention when I presented my contract here for approval....

Kept free means zip, zero, zilch, nada and nothing like you worded will be in the planted areas... if so, it's a break of contract.

It was recommended to me that "every effort" be changed to reasonable effort.

Hope this helps you like it did me.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is also alot of "grey area" here. ALL of your Fall cleanup is included in the price, according to this. Is this what was intended? Also, do you REALLY want to re-mulch the beds twice in the same season? Especially, when you're not really even charging for it? (same price for labor) Is there a strategy here I don't see?
    The billing may want to have a little reconsideration on, too. Billing by the 1st, and expecting payment by the 10th is o.k. for perhaps residentials, (and maybe even SOME commercials), but most commercials, within my experience of twenty years, pay their accounts recievable on the 1st and the 15th of each month. Usually, needing time for approval. (Mine is usually a 30 day grace period, though it never really takes that long.) With this the way it is written, you're putting in an automatic penalty for most potential commercial contracts, right off the bat.
    One other thing; the overseeding. How do you overseed without labor? Even if you can do it at the same time, you STILL are purchasing, delivering, and loading seed. Sure, I realize that you have a good markup on the seed, but still cover your time and energy with margin.
  10. KerryB

Thanks for all the helpfull input guys,
    To answer some of your questions runner, these are small commercial propertys. Fall cleanup isnt really a big deal with them. I have yearround contracts with them and very little to do at any one time. On my large commercial props I have that seperate. As far as remulching, trying to get them to remulch 1 time is hard. They dont want to spend the money, so it's really just a way to add value without the effort. Even if one or two do remulch twice its a very small area, maybe a yard or two at the most.
    I deal with the main people at these small businesses and almost always receive payment when I give them the bill. They write me a check on the spot.
    I only have 2 of these small props that overseed in the fall. Dosnt take much time at all. Actually its just another way to build value into the contract. I pick up the seed when I buy for my larger props. We like most of you have a large number of undercutting a##h*&es around here. I have to do what I can to make my contract more attractive than the bs they are spreading around.
    These small props also provide additional services for me. On one I relandscaped a small area for them total of 4500.00 this year. I also have managed to pick up most of the employees homes, because I do such a good job at the buisnesses.
    I will make those suggested changes in wording, thanks Tsg.
    Thank you all you are very helpful and I have learned so much from all of you.