1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Contracting out Sod installation jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryantLandscape, Nov 23, 2004.

1. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

Well here's the deal, lately I have had a lot of people calling and asking if I

install sod.....sure I do, i say...question is I live in Florida and was wondering

what is stopping me from contracting it out and over seeing the job. i do not

have a license to apply roundup so I have to contract that out anyways,

to be legal and all, I just want to make sure it's legal to bid on a job and

contract it out, not to much experience here doing that.....Thanks :cool2:
  2. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

You're a contractor. Subcontracting is a part of the game. When you bid on a contract, usually in the services section you'll say something to the effect of "ABC Company will provide all labor, parts and equipment to get the job done." Whether the employees work for you or for XYZ company, you're still providing the means to the end. Plus the estimate is in the bid, so it's not like you're pulling a fast one on anybody. You still do the job for the price. Of course if XYZ does a shotty job, it will reflect poorly on you.
  3. BryantLandscape

thanks AllStar, up to this point I've always done the work myself but I'm

finding it hard to fit in a half day or full day sod installation with my

schedule, I think I will try this route and see how it goes, I'd be using a well

known Sod company that has a good reputation, now all I need to do is

figure up what to add on above my costs for over seeing the project...
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

There is good money in sod. In fact better than cutting it, any day. However it takes Heavy Equipment to do it at a profit. I pay $0.14 a square foot for St Augustine sod and charge up to $ 1.00 a foot installed on smaller jobs $ 400.00 minim.

The trick to subbing out any work is two fold.

First: Finding a good company that you don't have to over see. If you would sub a job to me and stand there and try and tell my guys how to do their job, You would not be able to sit down for a week.

Second: You should know and understand everything about how that job is done and priced. Subbing work from a customer that you have a signed contract with, could cost you your shirt. BTW sub-contractor want paid right away and customer want to pay by invoice 30 days later. Now believe it or not, Sod installation in certain areas require a permit. That permit requires that the contractor has Worker Comp because sod installation as well as plant installation is considered Construction not service like lawn mowing. New Florida worker Comp laws effective 1/01/04 are being enforced.

You are not in my area as I am in S.W. Fla not central Fla. However at this point I would recommend that you stay away from subbing out any work that you are not 100% sure of. You may try a finders fee from the contractor you are dealing with.
  5. BryantLandscape

Thanks for the advice, yeah there is good money in sod and I've laid sod in

many yards before but with my monthly lawn service contracts I simply don't

have time to do them so I'll try contracting them out and see how it goes.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Could not have said it any better Ric

I'm charging $.81 per sq foot ..... tear out ... prep .... install with a 3 pallet minium
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

$ 0.80 per sq ft is about the normal price in my area for rip out and repair of 3 pallets or more. However that is for solid areas. We get a few of a patch here and there repair work. This means a price increase according to customer attitude. Pool and Septic companies are good sources of customers for small high margin jobs, which I love. Small enough to do quickly and very high margin for straight sod laying. Other bonus is homeowner pays upon completion so no cash flow problems like Building contractors. I try and stay away from builder like the plague.

BTW I am selling the F 9000 and Donkey piggyback unit with can carry and spot in 5,000 sq ft as a one man operation. The big problem with this unit is it requires a B license CDL with air brake endorsement. It is a 1988 truck but looks and runs like new. Truck trader should be no problem to sell it. My 28 ft goose neck can carry almost as much sod and with an Agriculture endorsement it only requires a D Class licenses with in 150 miles of my nursery.