Contractor Flood

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Apr 3, 2008.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Here's an example of what can occur when a proper thrust block is not poured. This was a job by an outside contractor at a school site where we're switching from well pump (pump has been shot for years) to city water and installing a Watertronics booster pump for the irrigation.

Goshen Flood 3-27-08 IV-01.jpg

Goshen Flood 3-27-08 IV-02.jpg

Goshen Flood 3-27-08 IV-03.jpg

Goshen Flood 3-27-08 IV-04.jpg

Goshen Flood 3-27-08 IV-05.jpg

2. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Flood irrigation at work

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That is a beautiful ... example of a small scale alluvial fan.

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

What size line was that?

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

How long did it run before someone shut it off?

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Any pics of the rupture/fitting that busted?

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Washout!

8. PurpHaze

It's a 4" line. By using the last picture... it run's from off-camera left across the lawn area from the domestic POC/new irrigation backflow to the point of connecting with the the new Watertronics unit. It then goes from the unit into the old main line... bypassing the old pump/tank that's located behind the stucco wall.

I believe it ran for about four hours. The "on-call district plumber" received a phone call from the fire department at 3:30 AM and firemen were able to turn off the backflow for us after being advised which of the two in the enclosure it was.

Hole was full of water when I was there the next day. I'm going out that way to a Ewing BBQ tomorrow so I'll drop by and see if it's been repaired yet and maybe take some pics then.

9. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

oooo a 4" main freeflowing for 4 hours....that ends up working out to a boat load of water.

10. PurpHaze

Forgot to follow up with pics on this sitch but by the time I got out there the contractors had repaired their work and poured thrust blocks. Since their new line let loose near the PVC/galvanized transition they also decised it might be prudent to pour one at the transition after the backflow. Here's a couple of pics of that.

Goshen Thrust Blocks 4-4-08 IV-01.jpg

Goshen Thrust Blocks 4-4-08 IV-02.jpg