Contractor kills landscape purposely through fertilizer injector

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Az Gardener, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was having lunch the other day with a service technician from a fertilizer injector company who shall remain nameless. He was telling me about a contractor in the pacific northwest that had completed A landscape and irrigation install complete with fertilizer injector. Apparently the homeowner was a pita and was refusing to pay for the work :mad: so the contractor fills the injector with concentrated Round-up which precedes to completely kill the entire landscape :eek: . Of course he thought this was horrible, :dizzy: I said although I would never follow through, the thought has crossed my mind . I explained that he would appreciate it a little more if he had ever been on the non-recieving end of a transaction like that. I am a huge proponent of fertilizer injectors and have had others on this site suggest they are too dangerous for homeowners to have control of. I have not heard of a homeowner causing any problems with them but I'm sure when it happens someone will let me know about it. Until then its Contractors -1 Homeowners -0
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

There is such a thing as a Lien for this , ya know , in Az , we have special ones for this , they can be applied very quickly .
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

though it is a funny story, i would hope it's not true. applying somthing to a lawn w/o permission, and a vegitation killer at that could land somebody not only in jail, but also in a major civil lawsuit and a loss of license pest & contrator
  4. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

I seem to be missing the humor in all of this. There are better ways to deal with things like that. I certainly wouldn't want someone like that working on my yard:nono:
  5. Az Gardener

I could be wrong, perhaps you are all better men than me, but I would venture a guess that you have never had a landscape client stiff you on the final $20, 000 payment on a 60,000 job. Or may be it was 40,000. and he didn't even get his second draw. A lien is only good if the place sells. lets face it we are always the last ones paid and if he screwed us there are probably others in the lien line before us... Maybe you have and I am just petty. I am sure the contractor has had some repercussions. I really posted the story because I caught a lot of grief from contractors who thought homeowners were about to wreck the environment with their new fertilizer injectors. Also there is someone on the site who is probably familiar with the incident and I am curious what happened to the contractor and what the actual $$$ amounts were.
  6. ArizPestWeed

I'll bet anything it was a story , untrue story .
    None the less , a lien with interest over time is not a bad deal .
    It's better than what he did
  7. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Their was an employee at a major rose grower who was a little disgruntled at his sacking.A well known weedkiller was sprayed around the display gardens killing and maiming a century of rose history at this breeder.
    Yes this is true!!
  8. Az Gardener

Now that is a shame.
  9. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been in the business for 15 years and bascically come across everything. I have gotten better at judging my customers but occasionally I get stiffed and I have my ways to deal with it. For $20,000 I think I would of tried every legal way to deal with first before the gloves come off. For that kind of money you have some options but what kills me is when you get stiffed for $40-$50. At that point it will basically cost you money to collect and the customer knows that. In my younger days I would ask myself what would J Gordon Liddy do? That ranged from crazy glue in the locks or drive by round up balloons. Immature I know but I just don't like people that stiff the small guy just because they think they could get away with it. BTW I haven't done anything like that in over ten years and can't say I agree with it know but I can understand.
  10. ArizPestWeed

One way to get them back is to write on their garage door
    " Child Molester " in the hopes the neighbors will see it , with a can of spray paint , that's alway good for a laugh